Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 wrapping options/colours/thoughts

I'm sure you will but can you give us a photo shoot of your progress please, we're very interested in the process.

thanks
Mike

T8 said:
Looks a bit like this. :thumbs:

And that is Club Blau and is the colour I really did want even over Voodoo or Nogaro, although again very similar. I've searched the internet for hours for the paint code over the last years or so but it's such a big secret it's not available and PCNA won't release it. I was planning on a full colour change to Club Blau if I could find the code.

eabeukes said:
So theyre not *quite* correct, and I apologise for the rush job but the only tools I have at my disposal are not my usual bag...!

Spot on and it highlights how well the 996 can take bold colours. I think Guards Red next, then maybe Yellow.

maldren said:
I'm sure you will but can you give us a photo shoot of your progress please, we're very interested in the process.

I'm sure there will be some pictures along the way.

infrasilver said:
And that is Club Blau and is the colour I really did want even over Voodoo or Nogaro, although again very similar. I've searched the internet for hours for the paint code over the last years or so but it's such a big secret it's not available and PCNA won't release it. I was planning on a full colour change to Club Blau if I could find the code.

This might explain why they're so precious about it.

I bought mine nearly 3 years ago the usual silver all black interior car as it was cheap at the time but def not the colour I wanted. So I looked at a respray in red but the costs involved for a decent job were pretty steep and I went down the wrapping route and ended up with a matt red.

Vis a vis the colour; does it reveal itself when scanned by a body shop paint scan tool?

...really like the dark orange colour, very cool in a classic old school Porsche way...

Been prepping the paint for days now, I keep trying bits of wrap on the panels that are blemished and I can see the blemishes through the wrap so I'm actually prepping it as though I am prepping it for a respray which is obviously taking longer than I wanted, as all things seem to do.

I started by making a template before removing the Targa badge so I know exactly where to put it back.

43986747430_db0e5bd3a3_c.jpg

These are all the tools I bought for this job.

43986766860_d9a3c5d4ca_c.jpg

But today I got bored of prepping and wanted to see some wrap going on and I thought the easiest thing to do would be the bonnet.

31932515698_0dc4630edd_c.jpg

I laid it by myself as I had done before but this wrap is a pain as its thinner and it tore when I tried to move it around, I think I needed a second pair of hands and more heat to lay a large panel.

45803395491_2010a19323_c.jpg

I salvaged what I could and had a go at the easiest part of the car, the fuel flap.

45803392371_550dcc0602_c.jpg

Then using larger bits salvaged from the bonnet I tried the door mirror, the hardest part on the car. This was my first attempt and it was so close to being good but there were a few little creases in it and it hadn't quite stretched right, I wasn't happy so pulled it all off again, this was done in two pieces but I think it does need to be done in three pieces, I'll have another go at this.

30863889167_c137a59028_c.jpg

I think the next step is to have a go at a door or a smaller panel that is easier to lay the wrap on.

"I can't be bothered with all this DIY, I'd sooner get someone to do it for me rather than challenge myself, learn something and then share my mistakes to the world whilst doing it."

Said Chris - never!

Chris you are truly an inspiration to all. :worship:

Had a crack at the door today, heating the garage for longer beforehand and using more heat on the material I had more success. I also worked out that the wrap doesn't stick to masking tape so when pulling the wrap up to preposition there isn't a sharp snatch when pulling on it, which is the reason it was tearing.

The masking tape around all the edges also allows me to cut the wrap on the opposing panel so there is excess to fold around the panel and not have to worry about marking the paint with the blade, result. I just lift the wrap up for the final time to remove the tape and finish the edges off.

Will finish the door tomorrow but I now have a better feel for how to handle the wrap and how much heat to use.

44917564925_5dbe318e90_c.jpg

44013865750_6fa2d61135_c.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back