Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine drop

engine drop[

I take my hat off to you endoman and wish I lived around the corner to you :sad:

She's out

Et voila!
Quite nervous but no major mishaps. It would have been easier with some one to watch that all wiring, pipes, etc. were out of the way. The area aound No3 spark plug is very tight. The Wilding cradle did not balance the engine /gearbox combination so I had to put another jack under the gearbox. I use Adrain Streathers book, the Bentley manual and this write up :- https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995-1998/202772-engine-removal.html
as guides but apart from Toga's post the instructions are scant and some bits ignored completely.
eg. Don't remove the starter motor just disconnect the earth strap and positive lead. if you can separate the clutch flexy at the hard line union you can leave the clutch slave as it's a pig to get at and even more difficult to put back. The geabox mount requires removal of the center gearlinkage cover tray to access the forward stays.
Time for a beer and a hot soak.

Attachments

• shes_out_117.jpg
    shes_out_117.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 11,238
Well done that man. :thumb:

I occasionally thought I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I have the time, faclities and tools so why not?
I've been working on engines and gearboxes for 50 yrs. but nothing as advanced or as complex. I admire Trev's youth and comittment an amazing job. Jackal was my inspiration to get hands on and his site is amazingly useful.
One of the few remaing classics that is not beyond some diy. It is not easy and puts into focus the charges of some indies.
Like someone once said "What did you think was cheap about Porches?"

Endoman said:
I occasionally thought I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I have the time, faclities and tools so why not?
I've been working on engines and gearboxes for 50 yrs. but nothing as advanced or as complex. I admire Trev's youth and comittment an amazing job. Jackal was my inspiration to get hands on and his site is amazingly useful.
One of the few remaing classics that is not beyond some diy. It is not easy and puts into focus the charges of some indies.
Like someone once said "What did you think was cheap about Porches?"

Good work John, that ramp helps enormously. it can be daunting but keep going, keep things organised and keep having breaks. It's amazing how a bit of thinking time away from it can help when you return to a problem.

I'm just installing RS shifter and Goldenrod, then rebuilding the doors.

Trev

The RS shifter and Goldenrod was one on the best mods I did. Thanks for support Trev. Latest problem is removing the crank pully I can't find the locking tool in the UK and carriage fron the USA is horrendous. I believe an impact gun is a very bad idea. Next thing to try is a heavy duty strap wrench or I may get one made.

Endoman said:
The RS shifter and Goldenrod was one on the best mods I did. Thanks for support Trev. Latest problem is removing the crank pully I can't find the locking tool in the UK and carriage fron the USA is horrendous. I believe an impact gun is a very bad idea. Next thing to try is a heavy duty strap wrench or I may get one made.

I can understand the advice for not tightening up using an air gun/impact drive but undoing??, would of thought possibly the best method.

Have you got your box split from engine?, if you have then you can secure the crank at the clutch end using clutch bolts and a brace bar.

Trev

Evidently use of an air gun has the potential to shift the cam timing on later 993s which have a friction lock on the timing gear, mine is an early one and has the 964 type peg lock but the chains don't like it either. I've found a source for the correct tool at reasonable carriage cost.
I'm begining to sound like Jeremy Clarkson, but evidently you can twist the crank if you lock the flywheel, that pulley nut is bloody tight. Bentley book says 173 ft-lb but that's wrong it's the 964 figure, 993 is 125 ft-lb + red loctite.
I removed the steering pump cover to find the belt well cracked, I'll be pulling the gearbox soon tranny lift arriving tomorrow . Soon I will have more kit than the OPC, they have already asked to borrow a special tool for 944 rear suspension :)
Had a bizzare incident at work today. Pt. arrived with 2 broken front teeth ( no pain it was a denture)
He was a local farmer adjusting a sheep fence when he slipped and got tangled in the fence, upside down with bolt cutters to hand he proceeded to cut himself free, disturbed a wasps' nest and while being stung dropped the cutter on his front teeth. If your having a bad day this would be it.

Endoman said:
Had a bizzare incident at work today. Pt. arrived with 2 broken front teeth ( no pain it was a denture)
He was a local farmer adjusting a sheep fence when he slipped and got tangled in the fence, upside down with bolt cutters to hand he proceeded to cut himself free, disturbed a wasps' nest and while being stung dropped the cutter on his front teeth. If your having a bad day this would be it.

Couldn't make it up could you :grin: :grin: :grin:

Being a Northerner, he'd have been back in the field this afternoon.

Gearbox split off and power steering belt removed. No leaks from RMS or PS pump but casing will get a good clean. can't understand why people want to take the lower pulley off the upper is very easy or even pulling the pump itself out.

Attachments

• ps__182.jpg
    ps__182.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 3,091
  • split_903.jpg
    split_903.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 3,091
Following this thread with interest to see how you're getting on, what's your plans now the engines out? Are you stripping the engine totally down or in-depth maintenance work ?
I had my engine taken out about 8-9yrs ago to have an oil leak sorted out, so much extra was done at the time, but well worth it.

I'm not stripping the engine as it was running well, no smoke and good oil pressure. Quite a few oil leaks to sort out and a lot of muck to clean off. PS belt and dizzy belt will be changed. Tbh it gets me away from shopping. If I hadn't acquired the new garage and lift I wouldn't have started. I'm semi-retired so plenty of time and I was one of those kids who took his toys apart to see how it worked.
If the engine ever needs to be dropped again then I'll have made it a lot easier. I've found several poor practice jobs done by indies and even OPC who when fitting a new crank sensor cut the plug retaining bracket rather than undo a 10mm nut.
The only work done I cannot fault was done by Ninemeister who fitted the LWF, RS shortshift and Goldenrod.
I've found undertorqued, overtightened, no antisieze and the occasional bit of rubber glove.
I was lucky to find the correct clutch hardline at Jasmine, it's difficult to read the PET. 964 423 110 00 is the one for my 94 car and it was seized solid, it needs to be moved to drop the gearbox.

Attachments

• butchered_474.jpg
    butchered_474.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,924
Endoman said:

I made my own locking tool for this job, which you're welcome to borrow if you still need one.

spring-10.jpg

spring-9.jpg

Gaity said:
Endoman said:

I made my own locking tool for this job, which you're welcome to borrow if you still need one.

spring-10.jpg

spring-9.jpg

Many thanks for your offer, unfortunately I ordered one from the States.
When I raced my MG, Horwich had a fantastic college where you could weld, machine anything. I was able to make several special tools and even skim my cylinder head. Bolton in their wisdom spent 1.6 million refurbishing it , then knocked it down 6 months later for housing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back