Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

Search 'Hellerman sleeve tool' for a safer browsing experience.

MC

We once needed some new ball cages for the press tools at work. Had a bunch of Toolmakers stood round my desk whilst I searched for them. Quite embarrassing when the results came up. :oops:

Fortunately Google censor stuff like that out now.......most of the time.

MisterCorn said:
Ha ha. I have always had one in my toolbox, most commonly a smaller one for fitting rubber sleeving on to cables.

MC
Ahhh - you an' your 'tool-box'... I bet the Laydeez lov ya... :thumb:

Osh
(yes, i know - i'll get me coat....)

Look what the postman brought me, a nice new 996 roof panel.

I have a few jobs I want to get finished before I take the old roof off, but I didn't want to get stuck in until I knew I had the panel, it has been on back order for months.

MC

With the centre radiator bracket fitted in front of the GT2 ducting there was about a 20mm gap all the way along the underside.

With this large gap there could be a tendency for air to come out of the radiator and go underneath the car rather than on top, although the air pressure on top should be lower anyway which would help it go the right way.

Just as an extra bit of help I bent up a piece of aluminium to fill the majority of the gap up. The fabricated brackets for the bottom have now been painted and screwed in place as well, so this is now ready for the radiator to be bolted in.

MC

MisterCorn said:
I have a few jobs I want to get finished before I take the old roof off, but I didn't want to get stuck in until I knew I had the panel, it has been on back order for months.

MC

:oops: - I may be to blame for that - I snatched up the last one listed on stock back in June....

Kind of amazing the sheer lack of any internal structure to the non-sunroof roof - the fact that its basically just a single mildly shaped skin/panel with folded edges... for some reason I expected there to be more to it

demon said:
MisterCorn said:

MC

:oops: - I may be to blame for that - I snatched up the last one listed on stock back in June....

Kind of amazing the sheer lack of any internal structure to the non-sunroof roof - the fact that its basically just a single mildly shaped skin/panel with folded edges... for some reason I expected there to be more to it

No worries, I have kept myself busy anyway :) Have you got any tips on roof removal / refitting?

MC

I printed pages 4-5 of Richard's (ELA) thread as my starter... : )

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

Basically just a lot of spot welds to remove and replace, but otherwise straight forward

My only dramas were re. the rear screen external trim seal
i.e. there is a pair of parts listed for each of the screen/frame/trim - a pre '99 and a post '99 (or there abouts) - each part fairly clearly shows the year application except for the seal... with the confusion then seemingly shared across all parts suppliers(!)

Essentially the rear screen should survive removal and replacement, but frame and seal are always both recommended to be replaced

The first seal sent out was "inches" off! i.e. the bottom has a formed 90 degree corner on each side, then a "loop" between them - the first seal was way too wide to ever fit correctly across the bottom

After a lot of back and forth Porsche (via D911) agreed to send out the "identical/discontinued" alternative part..... that one was a closer fit, but still didn't fit with german precision!
- in the end the new seal still had to be cut and glued - chose to do so on the passenger side right angled corner where it is as invisible as possible

....long story short - be sure to bring all the new parts together well before you fit them - in any case, retain the "old" seal, even if it has to be cut away to remove the screen so that you have a clear comparison.....

classic unexpected PITA!

Started putting the subframes back on the car. No massive rush as I'm still waiting for suspension parts, but st least I can get the rear done.

MC

I have finished the wiring loom for the third radiator controller. I wanted this to automatically turn the radiator on above a certain temperature, give an indication to the driver for this, and also allow a manual override. For the switch I used a heated seat switch as it has two different colour leds in it, plus backlight. I had to modify this as it runs a common gnd and switches to that with 12v needed to drive the leds. I needed the opposite so the leds were unsoldered and turned around. The feed for the second led comes in on a swtich contact but I needed it on the other contact so a track was cut and wire link added. Finally I had to stop it operating in the off direction as I am using a timer to turn it off, some simple pieces of card do the job here.

In operation the swotch shows yellow and red when operated by the thermostat and yellow only when on the timer. The time is adjustable but I will probably set to 5 minutes. This is only really needed for when bleeding the system.

Complete system consists of two relays which will mount in the fuse box, the switch which will go in the horseshoe, the thermostat in the return line just before the engine thermostat, and the valve which goes inline at the inlet to the centre radiator.

The thermostat will be set such that when open the temperature is still above the thermostat opening temperature, so with a 78 degree thermostat something like 95 degrees.

MC

MisterCorn said:
The thermostat will be set such that when open the temperature is still above the thermostat opening temperature, so with a 78 degree thermostat something like 95 degrees.MC
Have you thought about setting the new radiator to come on with the low speed fan?

maldren said:
MisterCorn said:
The thermostat will be set such that when open the temperature is still above the thermostat opening temperature, so with a 78 degree thermostat something like 95 degrees.MC
Have you thought about setting the new radiator to come on with the low speed fan?

Yes, but I will have aircon on the car and the low speed fans run whenever this is turned on. By the time the high speed fans come on it is getting pretty toasty. Besides, that would be way too simple.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back