Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Just got myself a new turbo 😁😁

I also went for it with wheel nuts - think I've got a bit of OCD but rusty nuts can't be good!!

Look after your nuts and they'll look after you.... :?:

Didn't like them in silver so actually finished them in Satin Black.

Great work Nick :worship:

Still haven't had that run out.
Mine also won't be used as much over the winter months but don't think I'll sorn so maybe we can get a run out in on a dry crisp day :bye:

adamw said:
Great work Nick :worship:

Still haven't had that run out.
Mine also won't be used as much over the winter months but don't think I'll sorn so maybe we can get a run out in on a dry crisp day :bye:

Sounds like a plan, I'll PM you :thumb:

After covering the front end I thought I'd start to tackle the Ass end and see what sort of condition it was in and also to try and keep it looking mint. Removing the rear PU is a lot easier than the front with just a few Torx screws, after taking a few heat shields off it was time to take the intercoolers apart and remove the cradle carriers. The cradle frames have seen beter days and a touch of rust is coming so I'll be sanding and prepping these before a respray. The rear arches were full of Cack so a good going over with an APC and pressure washer brought them up good. The suspension elements all look good and cleaned up nicely - one place that you can foresee future problems with is behind the forward facing arch liners, cleaned these up well but definitely a potential rust spot if not tended too.

image hosting free

Looking good and well worth doing. I had my front bumper off and the amount of leaves in there was amazing. Unfortunately due to years of all-year-round use, the radiator housings were all rotted through so I had to replace them.

Likewise when I took the old intercoolers off, you could see where core had rotted through in places.

rabbitstew said:
Looking good and well worth doing. I had my front bumper off and the amount of leaves in there was amazing. Unfortunately due to years of all-year-round use, the radiator housings were all rotted through so I had to replace them.

Likewise when I took the old intercoolers off, you could see where core had rotted through in places.

Cheers for that - how's yours going? Taken it past 100k yet?

rabbitstew said:

How easy is it to take off the front bumper and does anyone have any pics?

I did it on my 996 Turbo but the 997 looks more complicated?

:?

NickHappy said:
rabbitstew said:

Cheers for that - how's yours going? Taken it past 100k yet?

101321 miles on it now. So ive done 32000 miles in my ownership! Going really well although im spending quite a bit this month on maintenance stuff - just stuff which gets worn out at that miles. But to be fair, it cost me virtually nothing over first 2 years of ownership.

The front bumper is pretty straight forward, it's all clips and screws about an hours work for the uninitiated and 30 mins the next time. There is a thread on Renntrack.com, the one thing that isn't made clear is that the clips behind the headlights have to come right out not half out and also when you use your 5mm socket to undo the nut that holds the lights make sure you tape the socket to the extension otherwise it will drop off into the inner wing!
Oh and be careful with the indicator repeaters in that it just needs the clip depressing to pull them out, use a torch and you will see that they're a quick press and pull!
Good luck, it's not as nerve wracking as it looks.

easternjets said:
The front bumper is pretty straight forward, it's all clips and screws about an hours work for the uninitiated and 30 mins the next time. There is a thread on Renntrack.com, the one thing that isn't made clear is that the clips behind the headlights have to come right out not half out and also when you use your 5mm socket to undo the nut that holds the lights make sure you tape the socket to the extension otherwise it will drop off into the inner wing!
Oh and be careful with the indicator repeaters in that it just needs the clip depressing to pull them out, use a torch and you will see that they're a quick press and pull!
Good luck, it's not as nerve wracking as it looks.

Exactly that, if you have taken the front PU off the 996 turbo (as I have done) its just the clips under the headlights that are different - I made a tool out of a coat hanger to pull them through (I will post a pic) and you will also need to detach the washer hose for the headlight wash. I didn't and snapped the connector!!

next was to remove all of the exhaust shields, intercooler frames plus turbo heat shields and boost pipes. All quite straight forward really and just a case of unscrewing in a logical order, bit of a drama with a screwdriver tip falling into the turbo housing but after some fiddling and wriggling around managed to salvage it! As I thought, some rust has started to form on the intercooler frames and generally the screws and clips in and around the bottom of the rear PU were starting to corrode and not look their best. A trip to Mid Sussex Porsche was in order; the parts department were great and Steve happily took the time to go through which replacements I needed. The price of a new intercooler frame was not warranted though so a good rub down to remove the surface rust and a primer plus black spray paint soon had it looking like new, along with all new screws and clips had it looking pretty good and there is definitely some satisfaction to be taken from going about these things yourself.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJno1
Back