Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Flat battery recharge, now no rear park sensors &...

N1ckC

annoying permanent tone when reverse is selected.

Evening fellow Stuttgart officionados, 2007 997 C2. I had a flat battery which has been resolved but now I have no rear parking sensor audio tone and when I put the car in reverse (manual) I get a continuous loud & annoying warning tone sounding in the cabin.

Has anyone experienced this & can you advise how to resolve it without a trip to the garage & diagnostics?

Thanks.
Nick

Nick. You've started the same 3 threads in the last 7 minutes. I've removed the other 2.

You have got something possibly blocking the sensors so .. something like dirt or a loose number plate one of the sensors is picking up on or a sensor has failed ..

All you can do is clean the outside of the sensors and make sure the number plate isnt loose..

Other than that its a garage / tester to see what the fault is .

You could try a battery disconnect for 30 mins but im not that hopefull there .. you will get psm warnings after this but a drive over 6 miles will reset this .

On a Cab then i would mention water ingress as the Park cu along with the rear Cu is under the passenger seat ... common place for water problems on a Cab .

Doesn't PDC get lost with a flat battery?

Iirc, along with window, roof and seat positions?
Indy handover reset once battery sorted :thumbs:

jonno_ said:
Doesn't PDC get lost with a flat battery?

Iirc, along with window, roof and seat positions?
Indy handover reset once battery sorted :thumbs:

Seemingly not, copied from the workshop manual on another forum

Effect of disconnection or total discharge of battery on electrical systems in the vehicle and the precautions to be taken. (MY2005-on)

Control unit memories
Values and faults stored in the control units can be deleted if the battery is disconnected or completely discharged.
If possible, all fault memories should be checked and, if necessary, printed out before the battery is disconnected.

Supply voltage fault entry
The entry "supply voltage" may be stored in various control units if the battery has been completely discharged.
Delete the "supply voltage" entry from the control units in question.

Ready status
In some countries (presently the U.S.A. and Canada), after disconnecting the battery, it is necessary to reach the Ready status by a test drive and/or by using the Porsche System Tester DME control module menu). If in doubt about this, contact the relevant importer.

DME control module
With all DME systems, the engine must run for several minutes before the engine control module can relearn the idle speed and mixture adaptation values!
After disconnection of the power supply, the idle speed might change or fluctuate briefly until the throttle valve adjusting unit has been readapted.
The mixture adaptation is also lost.

After the battery is connected:
With the DME, it is necessary to carry out a learning and adaptation routine as described below:
Switch ignition on for 30 seconds without starting the engine.
Do not actuate accelerator pedal.
This completes the adaptation of the throttle valve adjusting unit.

Tyre pressure monitoring system
When the battery is disconnected and connected, the tyre pressure is first displayed as "- - - ".
Once the battery has been disconnected and work is complete, the vehicle must be driven for a short distance.
The actual pressures will then be displayed again.

Steering angle sensor (PSM)
The steering angle sensor must be re-initialised when the battery is disconnected and connected.
Turn wheels to straight-ahead position.
Switch ignition off and then on again twice.
Start engine.
From the straight-ahead position, turn steering wheel approx. 20à‚° to the right, past the straight-ahead position.
Drive the vehicle straight ahead for at least one second at a speed above 4 km/h (2.5 mph).
The steering angle sensor segment is recognised again in this process.
Once the sensor has been successfully initialised, the fault code that is stored in the fault memory is documented using the fault deletion counter.
The fault memory erases itself automatically.
The PSM indicator light in the instrument cluster goes out.

Power windows
The end positions of the power windows are deleted from the control unit when the battery is disconnected and connected.
Perform the following procedure for all power windows:
Actuate rocker switch and fully close window once.
Actuate rocker switch once more to close.
The upper end position of the window is stored.
Actuate rocker switch and fully open window once.
Actuate rocker switch once more to open.
The lower end position of the window is stored.

Instrument cluster
Clock
The time is deleted when the power supply is disconnected.
Press clock control button approx. 1 second on instrument cluster. Hour display flashes.
Press clock control button in the corresponding direction. Hours can be adjusted.
Press the clock control button again, the minute display flashes and can be adjusted by turning the clock control button.
Trip odometer
The trip counter is set to 0 when the power supply is disconnected.

Airbag control module
If the battery is disconnected for less than 100 seconds when the ignition is switched on, a CAN time fault, which makes diagnosis of the airbag control unit impossible, may be stored in the airbag control unit.
The fault is erased by removing the ignition key.

On-board computer
Disconnection of the vehicle battery deletes the memories for average speed and average consumption. As a result, the displayed range on remaining fuel can be markedly different or even 0. The outside temperature display loses its memory effect. In other words, the indicated outside temperature can be too high due to the heat radiated when the vehicle is hot.

PCM
When the power supply is disconnected, the built-in GPS receiver loses the so-called almanac containing the satellite orbital paths.
Switch on PCM when there is a free panoramic view (load GPS almanac); the almanac is reloaded as soon as four satellites have been identifed.
The date and time are deleted when the battery is disconnected. The summer-/wintertime recognition feature is maintained. The time is lost and is updated again when there is a plausible GPS reception (four satellites).
The date and time are also adopted once the GPS almanac has been loaded; it may be necessary to change over to summer time (daylight-saving time). This time is transferred to the instrument cluster. If the time is then manually changed by means of the instrument cluster, this time is adopted by the PCM and synchronised with GPS time.
If the telephone card had been inserted and the telephone was ready for operation, the telephone is subsequently disabled (only if "Use last PIN" is deactivated).
The telephone is enabled again when the telephone PIN code is entered with the SIM telephone card inserted.

Test drive after disconnecting battery
Depending on the vehicle equipment fitted, all these work steps are carried out during the test drive.
Read out the fault memories of all control units after the test drive.
If there is a fault present, check to see if the fault was caused by an undervoltage.
If faults were caused by an undervoltage (or CAN timeout error), erase the fault memory, perform another test drive and read out the fault memory.
If faults were not caused by an undervoltage, correct the faults in accordance with GFF (Guided Fault Finding).

The op had already had a flat battery so i kinda assumed he knew how to reset things :)

Must be getting old as im not sure what PDC is .. PDCC yup .. cant know everything though and sometimes i need reminding :)

Matt .. thats an interesting list .. not one i remember reading before but usefull .

Fault codes tend to stay in the control units .. otherwise it would be easy to clear an airbag FC by a battery disconnect .. dont work im afraid .

You DO get fault codes for no power though .. all non present and something i see a lot on a service .. we can tell that way its had a flat battery and ask the usual questions ... they dont need deleteing as only someone with a tester will actually see them .. non present and the car will ignore them ... mostly ..

Sometimes the car can be a bitch .. as in this case .. never underestimate software .. it can ruin your day !

You DONT need a hand over after a flat battery ... see above .. very rare though .

I would consider the above to be an existing fault which a flat battery has made worse .. as its not normal to do a handover or clear a code ( PA in this case ) .. bearing in mind im into thousands + of batterys ive disconnected and probably 10 that gave a problem afterwards.

The car WILL need to relearn throttle position and to be fair it can cause an issue on a gen 2 but normally the car will learn it pretty quick .. fault codes are retained as far as im aware but if a fault code in the dme is cleared it WILL reset the adaptions.

Gen 2 and its called Forced throttle adaption.

No big deal but if the car isnt running right and has adapted close to its limits but not enough to trigger an eml then it will run rough for a while.

Basically the car has a previous fault before this .

If the Tpm really gets upset then its a relearn .. unusual but it can happen .. gen 1 and that can be upto a 20 mile road test (in one go ) gen 2 and 100 yards .

Steering angle sensor will activate the psm fault but a drive over 6 mph and it will drop back to its old settings .

Something to be aware of here .. it DOESNT learn its straight ahead position this way .. it ONLY drops back to its original last taught settings .. if you adjust the geo then you need to have it calibrated .

Windows .. ive mentioned this rather a lot on here :)

PCM when the car is out on the road it will soon pick up satelites and reset the clock

Airbag will register a code but no light.

Computer .. yup it does .. not something i think most people would worry about .

Last one .. radio code if you have an aftermarket radio .. need to know it before a flat battery :D

My 2 pennys anyways and from the Horses mouth :floor: .. it was mentioned on another thread .

EDIT ..

Just to say you have no idea how many edits i have to do on long posts for spelling mistakes !!

I hate long posts .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back