Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 Engine rebuild tooling

MJK1

I'm in the process of rebuilding my 997.1S engine due to bank 2 bore scoring after 103k miles. I have a question regarding the tool for replacing the gudgeon pin and circlip on pistons 4 to 6. There are various tools on eBay for around £100 which state 997 in the title but then in the description it only says suitable up to 2002.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-...045111&hash=item3f85a4d7b3:g:8KQAAOSwkWNZpVM8

I suspect this only refers to the timing tools in the box and the pin and circlip assembly tools (factory numbers 9608 and 9602/1) can be used on the 3.8 997 engine. Can anyone confirm this for definite?

Thanks very much for the replies. I've now fully stripped the engine and will be taking the cylinder blocks to Hartech next weekend for 6 new cylinder liners. I'll also replace the IMS with the larger bearing design and various other bits like pistons and bearing shells. I'll then start putting it all back together. There are many tools available but it's usually possible to do the job without most of them with a bit of improvisation. For instance an 8mm rod does a perfectly good job of getting the crank in the correct position. One tool I can't do without is the one for assembling the gudgeon pin and circlip.

Infrasilver, thanks for the offer of yours, do you know if the 996 tool also fits the 997? I know the circlip is the same part number so the pins must be the same diameter and I suspect the tool will fit both. I'll probably buy the kit from eBay if I get confirmation it fits the 997. I'll then have it available if I ever do another.

That's great thanks for the confirmation. I also considered making one but for 90 quid I'll get one off eBay.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back