Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What should I do for Winter ?

Milo72

So I got my car a couple of months ago and enjoyed the last of the summer sunshine and dry roads in it, but I think I would like to wrap it up until the spring....

I'm collecting it today from the body shop as I've just had the front end resprayed and the thought of salt and stone chips gives me cold sweats. I know some people say it's a car and it should be driven, but having waited this long to get my 'poster car' I just can't face a wheel arch full of rock salt.

So the question is.... what should I do for the winter ??

Start it up once a month?
Leave a trickle charger on all the time?
Move it every now at then?
Anything special for the paintwork?

What are your thoughts...?

It's a Cabriolet and will sadly have to be under a cover as I have another project in the garage.

I certainly don't want to leave it and not touch it as I've got to fit all the bits i'm buying off of here over the next few month :thumbs:

Many Thanks

hedgehogsdad said:
NLW73 said:
drive it!

+1 :thumbs:

Ha ha ha ha - I knew this was a can of worms posting this. I certainly don't want a garage queen but I can't quite bring myself to driving the winter country roads round here either, maybe next year when i'm not so precious about it.

I'd use dehumidifiers, a trickle charger and keep the tyre pressures pumped up. But I wouldn't want to lay it up outside under a cover really. It would be good if you could to give it a run on a dry day from time to time.

No garage, drive it simples.... Or kick the project out!

I totally understand the mentality of not wanting to use a nice 997 on our winter roads. Especially with local councils seemingly unable to keep up with repairs.

I am using my 997 as a daily and doing some pretty large mileage to boot. My solution to prevent corrosion and keep out/off the seasons had been to:

1/ Purchase a vehicle which is in a good state of repair in the first instance. Examining, then if not already done, further remedying the usual suspects such as stone chips, making sure underbody fixings and mechanicals are okay (heat shields, bumper stays, discs, callipers etc etc).

2/ Get a good indy to apply a coat of waxoil underneath the car (taking the undertrays off- discussed in a recent thread I believe).

3/ Ask your friendly neighborhood detailer to apply a ceramic coating to bodywork and wheels.

Then you'll be cutting trough the worst the weather can throw at you with ease!

I had missed the bit about keeping it under a cover , the issue with outdoor covers is they flyp about in the weather and can scratch the paint, Highly suggest you do as others in the past and put an indoor colver over it first then the outdoor cover :thumb: :thumb:

Not sure any outdoor cover is a good idea with the UK climate?, trapping moisture etc? without a garage id go with Mattys idea :thumb:

spongebob squarepants said:
Not sure any outdoor cover is a good idea with the UK climate?, trapping moisture etc? without a garage id go with Mattys idea :thumb:

:grin: tis true covers are not ideal , best option would be to drive it and enjoy it but OP seems reluctant , maybe because hes not actually experienced how good and safe these cars are in poor weather , so he might change his mind , :grin: saw a great video about 15 mins ago of a 997 with PASM on a forced skid pad and it handled just as we know they can , perfectly :grin: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back