Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Confused about Beru ignition coils

peterzoom

Can anyone explain the difference between the ZS031 and the ZS177 coil packs please? I've asked automotive, euro and CP4LESS but no one seems to know any details other than that they are both suitable. I'd like to understand if one is more suitable or is improved specification before purchasing

Beru list the ZS177 for your car, looks as though this is the replacement for the ZS031.

I see both listed on the autodoc site as both being suitable but one has an image without mounting bolts. When I asked through their helpdesk I was told that either would suit but they didn't know what the variances were between the two :?:

Unlikely they would know - the ZS031 is shown as no longer available on Beru's website, Autodoc and others will probably have some old stock alongside the replacement coil.

Yes that would make sense if the part numbers are sequential, with the newest version having the higher number. Also might explain why there is a price gap between them also.

Isn't the counter bores different on the newer ones ans are further out, thus needing lomger cap head bolts. Sure there's a thread about it on here.

These are my original and replacement coil packs, all Beru. The bolts came with the new coil packs and (hopefully) the new packs will be less prone to crack.

You'll need torx sockets.

Attachments

• dscn3579_resized_142.jpg
    dscn3579_resized_142.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 1,589
Thanks for putting up the before and after pics, very useful. The new ones look exactly like the the image on autodoc that shows the ZS177 with the bolts displayed.
So I guess the smart move is to check that when one is purchasing coil packs that the later ZS177 model is the one to go for at this time.

Good, that really helped, thanks everyone :thumb:

I'd prefer the older ones, bet they're miles easier to fit.

Indeed the early ones are the easiest to fit .. the later ones are a lot fatter and on some models dont fit .

As far as im aware the older ones are either no longer avaiable or in Very short supply.

New coils come with longer bolts in the box but male torx head .. at least everyone ive fitted has .

Porsche changed the design due to the early ones cracking .. which was actually a fault Beru had corrected on their aftermarket coils years ago .

Porsche say you have to replace all six if only one needs doing .. Bull s$%t .. do as many or as few as you want .

I used the updated ones on mine when I replaced them last winter. No harder to install other than adding a washer to space the heat shield off the taller coil pack.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back