Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sponges brakes on a 997

obiwan

Hi Folks,
I noticed my brakes were a bit spongey. Lots of pedal travel but stopped and activated the Abs.
So I bled the system using the old fashioned method of. a pal pressing the pedal.
The brakes have improved but I'm not sure they are really good enough.
with the engine off I pressed the pedal until the servo ran out of vacuum the pedal was hard but still not really solid.
I'm guessing there's still air in the system.
Now I have a durametric professional to activate the pasm and abs but how do you do it?
Can anyone that has actually done this please advise with the correct bleeding process.
Has anyone e
sehad somilar issues and how did you solve them. I've also ordered. apressire bleeder kit but I'm quite happy using the old way has it's worked for me forever.
Any 997 brake problems, travel not feeling tight etc and how you resolved them would be most welcome. Thanks :thumb: :thumb:

You really only need to look a couple of weeks ago to find exactly the same topic was discussed in this specific forum.
Not only will you find the same question asked and many willing to help with their own experience, but "Dimort" our Greek God of Brrrm Brrrm has waxed lyrical on exactly your dilemma.

Did you bleed both sides of each caliper?

Ok a recap ..

You had spongy brakes so you did a brake fluid change and you Still have spongy brakes although it might be a little better ?

First of all air has to get into a sealed system to give you spongy brakes so thats one thing to look for.

If no leaks and you have already bleed the brakes then there is no air imho .. the part with useing the tester to operate the abs unit is only required if you have Replaced the abs unit .. its not required when bleeding or replacing the brake fluid ..

At least ive never used it and ive done this job thousands of times :D

You pump the pedal to get rid of vacumn and althought its hard it still has movement ? ..

It should be rock hard at that point so what we are left with is a brake flexi pipe is buldgeing / balooning or a faulty brake master cyl .

Personnely i would advise getting a garage to have a look and being very carefull if you drive it .. I would recomend you dont but i err on the side of caution .

brakes

Yes I bled both sides. I'm particularly interested in bleeding using Durametric cable too.

deMort said:
daveessex said:
"Dimort" our Greek God of Brrrm Brrrm has waxed lyrical on exactly your dilemma.

:floor: thats a new one on me !!

:floor: :floor: love it :floor: :floor: heres a statue of him doing an oil change under a car

Attachments

• ancient_greek_gods_cover_743.png
    ancient_greek_gods_cover_743.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,318
Spongey brakes

That's great advice . I've ordered new hoses and master cylinder and will replace over winter as the cars off the road now.
The cars done 70k so it's worth a brake refurb.
Thanks for the heads up on that.

Phil 997 said:
deMort said:
daveessex said:
"Dimort" our Greek God of Brrrm Brrrm has waxed lyrical on exactly your dilemma.

:floor: thats a new one on me !!

:floor: :floor: love it :floor: :floor: heres a statue of him doing an oil change under a car

Greek as in greek greek i.e. greece/cyprus or meaning the GOD !! 😎👍

Cheers

J

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back