Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 wrapping options/colours/thoughts

Darker of the two.
I'm actually contemplating this as well, my rear arches need done and basically both sides so thought of getting arches done then wrap instead. Again something same as you that's OE ish but a subtly different.

3M Gloss intense blue looks good. It's a bit less green than the Miami and close to Maritime blue. The 3M gloss makes it look slightly metallic which is unusual.

Was the front of your two tone blue earlier this year Miami ?

Personally I'd go guards red a some point. Looks great on a 996 👍

darker one for me out of them 2 shades. im going to be doing the same, i have a blue 997 & poss getting a wrap in ........blue! :floor:
sounds crazy but method in the madness, i think. going from cobalt blue to gulf racing wrap.

G2 said:
3M Gloss intense blue looks good. It's a bit less green than the Miami and close to Maritime blue. The 3M gloss makes it look slightly metallic which is unusual.

Was the front of your two tone blue earlier this year Miami ?

Personally I'd go guards red a some point. Looks great on a 996 👍

The front of mine was more green than Miami, almost a Turquoise, and was spray coating rather than a wrap, I wish I had wrapped it now though as this is one of the coatings that has added to the downfall of my paint.

I tried to get a sample of the Intense Blue but they didn't have stock, Maritime is nice too but maybe a little too purple.

I may go for Guards after this wrap, yes it does look great and amazingly very rare on a 996.

Voodoo :food: Voodoo :food: Voodoo :food:

I liked the retro wrap you had at Donington mate, it looked fab :grin:

As a matter of interest, how much do you reckon a self wrap will cost in materials :?:

kurlykris said:
As a matter of interest, how much do you reckon a self wrap will cost in materials :?:

I have got the cost of the vinyl to around £130 for 15 metres, not the 3M stuff but I am also hearing the 3M quality has gone downhill, its cheap enough to make a few mistakes. Also I don't have a roof to wrap so joining will not be an issue there and less material required.

Tools have cost around £30 for everything I should need, this includes masking tape and knifeless tape for any joins/inlays that are required.

I have heated up the sample and it seems to be fine, stretches OK and shrinks back fine, although when I stuck it on cold and ripped it off, it tore but it was freezing cold outside and I'll be doing it in a warm garage.

Wow, that`s pretty cheap then considering a professional wrap is circa £2K :grin:

I actually think a 996 would not be too bad to wrap, not too many funny forms, inserts or edges to contend with, my rear decklid/wing would be the tricky bit though :sad:

Will be interesting to see how you got on with it :grin:

I guess most of the cost is the labour charge to do it, my time is free so it's just the cost of the parts. I got a quote of £1800 to do it professionally and I have seen the 3M vinyl being sold for almost £800 to buy but this vinyl I'm going to use seems as good as anything I have used before.

The only two issues I see are the fan fins in the rear pop up spoiler and the front bumper vents area, although with a bit of patience I may be able to do the bumper in one piece, an inlay in the bumper will be almost invisible though.

I will remove the doors as this will make wrapping the inner (not usually visible with door closed) parts easier to do. I will also be removing both bumpers and the engine cover and doing them off the car.

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Kudos for doing it yourself. :worship:

Another vote for the darker one. I love the light colours like Riviera, Mint green and even Rubystone but they look a bit odd on 996s. That darker blue looks spot on.

I sort of wish I'd gone for a wrap now, as I've paid for a respray and it's peppered with chips after 1400 miles, so I now have to sort the front bumper again then pay for PPF. It's never ending.

A wrap is definitely a great option for a car you want to use and enjoy. Good luck with it. :thumb:

I'm inclined to suggest Speed Yellow if only to wind up the Jackal! :wink:

Everyone has agreed on the darker blue but also overlooked the fact you said orange 944.

That will be epic. :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back