Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine drop

Endoman

Getting there it's filthy underneath the car so much cleaning to be done and several oil leaks to sort. R/h inner cv boot it split, not looking forward to that messy job.
Big nut on oil line was 32mm not 36 as the book says but came off easily with the correct spanner. the other metal line is a different matter it just will not budge so Ive disconnected the rubber hose after cutting the jubilee clip, why oh why is the screw mild steel and the band stainless? Starter motor next (very useful tips on here)
Not touched the top end as yet should be easier, well it's a lot cleaner for a start.
Tip get some Laser oil absorbing mats to put on the garage floor the oil has a nasty habit of missing the washing up bowl. (I wonder if she'll notice, her toothbrush came in useful too)

Attachments

• engine_drop_203.jpg
    engine_drop_203.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 12,263
Having that lift is a bonus, I bought one recently and seriously wish I'd bought it 10yrs ago !

I change the rear cv boot on mine recently, stripping things out to drop the engine as you are, will make this an easy job.
Great project you have going on there, hope it all goes to plan. Keep us posted on the progress.

Jack D

Thanks Trev, hope you don't regret the offer. I've found WD40 soak and a good scrub loosens up the oil soaked gunk followed by xylene (wear a respirator) horrible stuff, worked well. It even got rid of the cosmoline remnants. A cryoblast would be preferable or even soda but not found a mobile as yet so it's soak and scrub. Something to keep me away from the Trafford Center in these coming months. I now know my personal pergatory.
The garage is my haven, shame the house is still not finished. What is it with British builders, start a job and then dissappear for weeks?

Good work Endoman. Mine is coming out this week for the usual preventive maintenance and a good clean. I hope they don't find me any surprises.

Nice spec on your car Jock. I would expect a few surprises, mainly good hopefully considering the age of our cars. I had one when I ordered a new oil return pipe. Still not got the b*st*rd out.

Success today got the oil pipe and drive shaft out. I released the lower shock mount and propped the suspension up to give enough room to waggle it out. The big nut came fairly easily with a long breaker bar and after a few smacks with my trusty copper hammer the drive shaft was out.
Do wear vinyl gloves when dismantling the cv joint as it it really messy.
The cross members are cleaning up nicely. I tried Wurth engine clean as it's less lethal than xylene.
The leaking cam cover is a pain and the top is leaking as well left side is completely dry upper and lower.
You can also see my clutch housing mod, no vent pipe.

Attachments

• oil_return_108.jpg
    oil_return_108.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 11,981
  • drive_shaft_etc_154.jpg
    drive_shaft_etc_154.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 11,981
  • rh_suspension_178.jpg
    rh_suspension_178.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 11,981
Thanks for that Endoman. Again, great work. Is giving me some confidence to tackle the harder bits I've left to the pro's in the past. :thumb:

(Now back to rebuilding this 106 :eek: )

Removed ps pump reservoir, the oil was disgusting.
New oil return pipe, slightly different. It takes 3 o-rings 2 in the grooves and a fine one at the shoulder. I could have straightened the bracket, reused the old one and saved 131 Euros but I'd broken the weld getting it off.
Chewed up drain plug and very dirty PSS10.
The air box is a struggle to remove.
New boot on drive shaft, that grease gets everywhere, a messy but not too difficult job with the right tools.

Attachments

• drain_plug_167.jpg
    drain_plug_167.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 11,840
  • pss10_704.jpg
    pss10_704.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 11,840
  • old_and_new_197.jpg
    old_and_new_197.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 11,840
  • ps_pump_760.jpg
    ps_pump_760.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 11,840
  • new_boot_317.jpg
    new_boot_317.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 11,840
One of those while I'm in there I'll have a look at the chassis legs. I did r/h ages ago but never looked at left for some reason. the wing support is also rotten but the struts are fine.
Those horrid little nuts that hold the heat shield needed a good dose of PB blaster to get then to move. Highly recommended best stuff I've ever used.

Attachments

• omg_101.jpg
    omg_101.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 11,702
John, that chassis leg doesn't look great, I agree those top hat nuts are a pain, I renewed all mine. I was going to have a go at a referbing my driveshaft as one of the CV's was shattered in the smash but there's a flange I couldn't get hold of so ended up with new items from Porsche.

Those big nuts are a pain, but my Dad's 900nm impact gun did the business on mine.

You've got a fair amount of work there fella, let me know when you're in there and I'll pop over and take a look :)

Trev

I will be welding up the hole myself in the chassis leg.
I should have waited a bit longer for the PB Blaster to work on the bumper supports, 2 studs have fractured flush with the inner wing. I intend to remove the central electric box in the engine compartment and see if I can drill them out and fit stud nuts or a bolt from the inside. from the pet it appears to stand off from the inner wing with rubber mounts so there should be enough room to fit something. I have tried butt welded studs but it's hit and miss and not very strong. It must be a common problem so perhaps someone out there has a tidy solution.

Endoman said:
I will be welding up the hole myself in the chassis leg.
I should have waited a bit longer for the PB Blaster to work on the bumper supports, 2 studs have fractured flush with the inner wing. I intend to remove the central electric box in the engine compartment and see if I can drill them out and fit stud nuts or a bolt from the inside. from the pet it appears to stand off from the inner wing with rubber mounts so there should be enough room to fit something. I have tried butt welded studs but it's hit and miss and not very strong. It must be a common problem so perhaps someone out there has a tidy solution.

It absolutely does, three of them that will give you at least 15mm clearance, so plenty to fit some sort of bolt affair.

Shame you sheared these studs, did you try any heat?, they're quite fragile. I think they would have been stud welded onto the chassis leg at the factory.

You got a decent mig welder?, what stock steel you using?.

Trev

The studs appear to be some type of self-clinching type. I'll drill through and fit stainless riv-studs. I have a small mig welder and will use the decent remnants of the wing support shelf to patch. I've got a mate with good welding experience to give me a hand. New shelves to be collected this aft along with other bits from Bolton OPC. I treated the r/h side about 8 yrs ago with POR15 and it has held up well. Yes, Ishould have put some heat in those nuts and given the PB blaster a lot longer to work they just snapped like carrots. I've having a go at making my own stainless struts they look pretty simple and I can get stainless welding done locally. Unfortunately OC who had the previous ones made is a bit hard to get hold of and the supply has dried up.

I decided to leave the slave cylinder on and remove the flexy hose as it's overdue for replacement. Unforunately I couldn't budge the hard line fitting and cut the hard line at the union at the back of the gearbox which was still a beast to get out Only the gearlinkage (golden rod) to remove and all is ready for the drop. The serpentine kit arrived today so a bit more bling to go on.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back