Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 turbo top mounts and axle boot question

Mat59

Monza
Hi All,

My 996 turbo needs a new front inner axle boot as it's cracked and starting to lose grass. I'm looking to get it replaced but don't really want to have to do a major suspension alignment as I'm collecting parts to do a major suspension refresh in the next few months. Can anyone confirm if changing the axle boot will require an alignment. My Indy want a flat rate £550 for this, which seems excessive to me.

I'm also going to pick up some new front top mounts for when I do the suspension refresh. I've read various posts aluding to 997 top mounts being a direct replacement at much lower cost. Can anyone confirm this? My car has standard suspension (not X74 or whatever) but I am planning to replace the dampers and springs with slightly lowered items or Coilovers.

Many thanks!

If an axle boot is as CV boots, then AFAIK no alignment required. Or at least my indy didn't suggest it when they did mine.

Robertb said:
If an axle boot is as CV boots, then AFAIK no alignment required. Or at least my indy didn't suggest it when they did mine.

That's what I thought, and looking back through service history, another Indy did the other side CV boot and didn't do an alignment afterwards. Thanks

No, absolutely no need for alignment if doing axle/cv boots. 550 for alignment is daylight robbery, not even porsche charge that much, Indy's usually charge in the 100 to 150 range

I think he means £550 to replace the boot. Well I hope so!

Erm, whoops. £550 was a typo. Meant £100ish. Wrong currency!

Think that charge is fair enough, just didn't think a full alignment was required.

Can anyone advise on the top mounts?

Mat59 said:
Erm, whoops. £550 was a typo. Meant £100ish. Wrong currency!

Think that charge is fair enough, just didn't think a full alignment was required.

Can anyone advise on the top mounts?

Seems fine then!

Have a search on here re: top mounts, there is a slight difference in angle, a few run them on here, a few won't entertain the idea, I don't think anyones had any problems.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back