Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Full Audio Install

Dadsgreatescape said:
What an excellent post and install, well done and many thanks for sharing.

This is something I've been planning on doing starting probably around Xmas. Initially my thinking was to add a Pioneer Avic unit, though keep swaying between this and a iPad mini install using the GT delete fascia. The Pioneer Avics are great though and yours installed looks perfect! nice, neat & tidy.

Amp wise, again you're a man after my own heart. The Alpine PDX amps are cracking, great size, clean power and literally no floor noise. On this one though it's a tough call between the PDX-V and the new Alpine PDP-8000. Whilst the PDP doesn't quite have the power output of the V, the integrated processor, optical input and WiFi make it quite a unique starting point, especially on a staged approach working nicely with a Gen 2's non Bose PCM3 with a view to either leaving the PCM3 installed, going down the Pioneer Avic route as you have or shooting for an IPad mini install. Decisions decisions.

Love the sub as well. Weight would be slight concern but you have clearly considered this as you mention keeping the design small and thickness down. I pondered over a Bose unit based purely on weight, upgrading the drive units as others have done, but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort and the route you have taken will be vastly superior I'm sure.

I think I'll be bouncing back and forth with your post for ideas and inspiration over the coming months. Great timing and thanks again for sharing. :worship: :worship:

Many thanks :thumb: The iPad idea is something I toyed with for a while too, in the end it was more the ease of making everything work with tried and trusted set ups. I really wanted to go down the Alpine route for the head unit but there was nothing to match the AVIC for features and it had great reviews. Sound quality vs budget was my ultimate aim.

I was a bit concerned about the weight of the sub too, I eventually decided to ditch the seat backs, I will never use the rear seats anyway and those things are quite hefty, so overall there is probably no overall increase in weight at all!

It would be great to see what you eventually decide to do :thumb:

Great install. You clearly have too much time on your hands :D

Just one comment on the subs. The open speakers may work OK long term in the UK where the sun only occasionally shines (although that looks like it's changing if this summer is any guide!) but in AUS those speakers wouldn't last long with the sun beating through the back window. If I did a similar install here I would cover the speakers in some way....but I'm sure it'll be fine over in Blighty

systech1 said:
Great install. You clearly have too much time on your hands :D

Just one comment on the subs. The open speakers may work OK long term in the UK where the sun only occasionally shines (although that looks like it's changing if this summer is any guide!) but in AUS those speakers wouldn't last long with the sun beating through the back window. If I did a similar install here I would cover the speakers in some way....but I'm sure it'll be fine over in Blighty

I wish... it took me 3 months in total :eek:, but that's me faffing around a lot :D
You might have a point about the subs, they are a bit exposed, but have survived this summer's heat wave ok!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back