Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MOT garage change - Advice pls!

Speedy

Hi guys, seeking your thought and views please.

Car MOT is due in few weeks and last year Advisory was change of front and rear disc breaks, showing slight sign of rust, due to lack of usage (as I do below 1k miles a year), also advisory that air con was not cold enough although I remember when I was buying the car the speech then was, well it would not be colder than this as it is an old car after all!!

So I get a slight feeling that maybe MOT garage is a bit over picky, may be it just generates customers to next door garage.

My question is, can I take the car to local garage earlier and see if passes MOT? I guess my question is, whilst keeping the same garage to service the car if I changed the garage that MOT's the car would that affect when it comes to selling it? Would it be a concern to a buyer?

Secondly, using an Indy, what should I expect to pay for front disk brakes? What for rear disc brakes inc. parts, labour and VAT please? I am just a bit careful not ending up replacing these as they will start to rust again due to minimum usage and rather to change them before I want to sell it in couple of years or so. Any thoughts please?
:?:
Cheers.

Air-Con not cold as an MOT advisory :eh!: That's a new one on me. Was it actually listed on the MOT print out?

Rust on brake discs can be an advisory for several years on a low mileage car so don't change them unless they aren't functioning correctly.

Re taking the car for an early MOT. Be aware that nowadays the latest MOT is the one that counts. If it fails it needs fixing. You don't have the original expiry date to work to. It's better to get a garage to give a pre-MOT look over.

For a start go for a 30 mile heavy braking journey before MOT to clean the disks up. Severe hard braking will clear them up a treat.

Secondly, move MOT centre. Aircon not cold enough? WTF. Utter retards pulling that out the hat at MOT time. Are you sure that wasn't noted whilst the car was being serviced?

You can take it to a garage or MOT station for a pre-MOT check and not have it registered on the system.

I would just take it for an early MOT though, I would assume the brakes would be an advisory again but as said take it for an Italian tune up before it's MOT or just use it a little more when closer to the time.

Not true on if it fails then you can't drive it on the old MoT.

Only is the fault is considered dangerous, which they'ld be doing you a massive favour.

If you take it for a pre-MOT check it doesn't get registered and you don't even have to take it to an MOT station, most regular garages can do it, even I do it for friends and family to a certain extent.

If your vehicle has failed its MOT when the certificate is still live:

You may take your vehicle for its MOT test up to a month before your current certificate ends; the exact date will be on your MOT certificate. This had led to people questioning whether they can drive it after it has failed as they still have a valid certificate.

The answer is that you can still drive your vehicle if it fails the test and its existing MOT certificate is still valid (i.e. if your test was before the expiry date) as long as no 'dangerous' problem(s) were listed in the MOT.

I had this argument with a garage once, the missus took her car to a place we had never used before that was close to where she works and she got a call saying they have checked the car over and it failed (can't remember on what) she called me distressed saying they have said she can't drive the car from there as it has failed and is now illegal to drive and they will need to fix it before she can take it away.

I said to him this is not the law and we had an argument with him saying "I think I should know as I work in the trade and you don't" this got me riled up obviously.

I went on the government site and sent him an email with the quoted information on it then gave him a call back. He soon backed down and started making various excuses for why he thought you couldn't take the car away. I quoted his saying back at him something along the lines of, me not being in the trade and I know more about this than you!

I told the missus to collect the car and I took it to the place I usually use the next day and it passed first time. Told the her to never take the car there again.

sday12 said:
Not true on if it fails then you can't drive it on the old MoT.

My understanding is that this is only the case if you've taken your car in within a month of the existing MOT expiring and would have to get it fixed soon anyway.

In the days of the paper certificates you could get an MOT done 'mid-term' and if it failed sell the car with 6 months left rather than fix it. Nowadays you can't do that as the system is 'live' and will flag it up as a 'MOT failed car' immediately.

EDIT: I've just re-read the original post and realised that he would be covered by the first paragraph as his MOT is due soon. Thanks.

A few years ago I had a 5 series BMW on routine service I was told it needed new front discs and pads. "How long should I expect them to last?" I asked.
"Depends on use" was the reply, "But longer than 6 months? Because you replaced them 6 months ago."
There are a lot of sharks in the motor trade and it can take a while to weed them out. Pity you are in West Yorks but then again not too far from Unit 11 who I trust. There must be others in your area. A/C not cold enough rings alarm bells. My MoT station is run by a personal friend with a mutual love of the older Porsches and no bs.

This myth comes up on every car forum going.

A MoT failed test does not cancel the previous MoTs validity. Regardless of when or where it is taken.

Oh, and no, you can't drive from Sunderland to Bournemouth without a current MoT certificate even to a pre-booked MoT test.

Hi guys, many thanks for the replies.

I think it is a great suggestion to take it for Pre-MOT. I will visit them first and ask if he can do this or just check the discs and brakes and tell me If it was for MOT then would it pass. Hopefully he will do it as obviously I don't expect this to be free.

If he checks the discs and says all ok, shall I just ask him to MOT it? Would it be a concern when it comes to selling?

Also any rough ideas on charges for front discs replacements? And rear replacements?

Many thanks... :)

This does not seem right to me. The car will not fail an mot just because the discs are rusty. There has to be a failure to meet performance requirements. As said above, use the car a bit before testing.

Was the 'advisory' printed on the mot certificate, or on the garage's own paperwork?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back