Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Windscreen/Wiper wind noise? - Do you have any?

Do you have any wind noise at 60+ MPH?

• None at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some from the centre left bottom

• Some from the bottom (all / or somewhere)

• Total voters

v6matt

In my continuing confusion having bought a 911 a few weeks ago, I still can't work out whether the noise I hear is normal or not.

Basically at 60+ MPH, I seem to getting some noise from the centre/left of the windscreen, it sounds like its coming from near the bottom almost like static from the speakers or some erroneous air coming through the demister vents.

I just tried masking off the passenger side of the screen and it made no difference, and I am wondering if 911's just make more noise that average at speed and perhaps its just air hitting the wiper blades?

Or it could be the windscreen but for it to be coming from the bottom and with a tightly fitted scuttle panel...it just doesn't make sense.

Anyway your input on the noise would be great, or other suggestions to try.

A less than satisfactory fit to a replacement windscreen?

I don't know if that's what is causing the noise in your car but I have experienced noise coming from the windscreen edge when going over certain speeds, and that followed a windscreen replacement. After a refit the noise disappeared.

Just a thought but remove the inside cover for the wing mirror and make sure the wiring plug doesnt have any gaps around it that could let air through .. wind noise .

Cover pulls out at the base BUT lifts upwards at the top.

pzero said:
A less than satisfactory fit to a replacement windscreen?

I don't know if that's what is causing the noise in your car but I have experienced noise coming from the windscreen edge when going over certain speeds, and that followed a windscreen replacement. After a refit the noise disappeared.

Thats the odd thing with mine, it doesnt seem to be from the top or edge and I taped off the passenger side windscreen with masking tape including the top to reduce wind entry but with no impact, it seems to be from the lower part of the windscreen near the vents or opposite side of the wiper blades....which is raising my suspicion that it may not be the windscreen refit. Also with nothing to reference I may be in overthinking mode ;)

deMort said:
Just a thought but remove the inside cover for the wing mirror and make sure the wiring plug doesnt have any gaps around it that could let air through .. wind noise .

Thanks I will check this :thumbs:, as it does sound like any windnoise from the from the areas I mentioned at national speeds is unusual.

This is how the car looked just before hitting the motorway earlier :grin:

Attachments

• 20181028_161538_134.jpg
    20181028_161538_134.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,951
Magic919 said:
Might be the non-standard wipers.

I swamped them back to standard old style ones, no difference :(

Just a thought but make sure your scuttle if fitted tight , they do sometimes warp in the heat and that may be causing some air turbulance that you can hear. also try opening and closing the air recirculation button see it that makes any difference. :thumb:

v6matt said:
You raise a good point though, my passenger wiper looks too low based upon some low res pictures I can see elsewhere.

Could someone take a photo of their wiper position, I think it should be slightly higher and above the black tint.... a bit more like this (the position towards left of picture as thats a LHD) https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/g... wiper boxster cayman carrera 911 997 987.jpg

check the size wipers you have as so many people fit both the same size as its cheaper as a pack of two but one is an inch longer than the other and as you say should not be in contact with the scuttle lip and as the pic more inlinewith the black screen border

Put masking tape in the shown areas .. if you have the noise after this then its not wind noise .

Attachments

• 20181028_161538_134_165.jpg
    20181028_161538_134_165.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2,879
Phil 997 said:
v6matt said:
You raise a good point though, my passenger wiper looks too low based upon some low res pictures I can see elsewhere.

Could someone take a photo of their wiper position, I think it should be slightly higher and above the black tint.... a bit more like this (the position towards left of picture as thats a LHD) https://www.suncoastparts.com/mm5/g... wiper boxster cayman carrera 911 997 987.jpg

check the size wipers you have as so many people fit both the same size as its cheaper as a pack of two but one is an inch longer than the other and as you say should not be in contact with the scuttle lip and as the pic more inlinewith the black screen border

Thanks, they are definitely different. 22 and 21 if I remember rightly. I have also already checked the scuttle panel and its on solid with good rubber contact at the top.

deMort said:
Put masking tape in the shown areas .. if you have the noise after this then its not wind noise .

Thanks, I will do that on my next motorway run between junctions/service stations.

I specifically went on the hunt for a 70 zone today and took me over an hour return :grin:, good excuse to play but not for every test.

I also have an air bed pump which I will use to blow around all the crevices and see if I can re-create it. Damn niggly things.

deMort said:

I did this quickly this morning before leaving for work.

The only thing I noticed was a slight lip at the very top. Does this look unusual i.e should seal/cover it?

Also interestingly, it looks like someone has exactly the same symptoms http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=619161 I have messaged them to see if they found a cure.

Also back near the car again, I also noticed using that threads idea about water on a seal. The top of the passenger window did have a weaker seal than the drivers side, so my wifes hair band is doing stirling work of sitting in there to push out the seal. Will see if this helps as well.

Also noticed the seal around the boot area was 'open' on the drivers side, so will check this when home as I suspect one of the plastic supports has gone walkabout and is not proping up the frunk trim into the rubber.

My theory here is that wind is entering here...creating noise somewhere further down and this is audible via the pollen filter opening and hence why I keep thinking its 'excess noise through the passenger top dash vent'

Attachments

• 20181029_114308_231.jpg
    20181029_114308_231.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 2,798
  • 20181029_114615_523.jpg
    20181029_114615_523.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,798
From memory they should have tape around the wiring plug .. use a bit of gaffer tape please to make a seal around that plug and out to the bodywork just in case .. 5 mins and a pair of scissors :)

EDIT ..

If you press the recirc button it closes the flap in the pollen filter houseing there by eliminateing and air going through there .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back