Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Who are they now? - AFN Chelsea

I think the guys that were at AFN Chiswick in the 80/90's started Chelsea Carerra but moved out of London due to location costs

Jam911 said:
I think the guys that were at AFN Chiswick in the 80/90's started Chelsea Carerra but moved out of London due to location costs

To the best of my knowledge, we all went to Chiswick, apart from Russell Lewis who had set up on his own in Surrey.

mark pearce said:
Don't you mean AFN Chiswick?
if my memory is correct there was
Motortune were on the old brompton rd, ( kensington) now a restaurant or a nightclub?
Charles Ivey were main dealers in the past in Fulham
Charles Follett were in Mayfair

don't recall a main dealer in chelsea

james.mckenzie said:
Cheers Mark,

I am only going off what old systems at Porsche centres are telling me. I have just received today data back from teh DVLA which lists Motortune Limited on Brompton road as the first owner. Does that mean they were the supplying dealer?

Is AFN Chiswick still around? Or have they merged into West London? Same site?

J

Motortune I'm trying to upload images and can seen but not locate on my phone when trying upload any help or an email to send direct

Purchased my first ever Porsche from AFN in Guildford , mid 1985 if I remember rightly . A black 924 S. A 659 GPC
Happy days !

Purchased my first ever Porsche from AFN in Guildford , mid 1985 if I remember rightly . A black 924 S. A 659 GPC
Happy days !

eagle said:
Happy days !

Pass it every day old very old friend used to run it ex Motortune

I've just picked up my first air cooled classic... and I have the original dealer book and manual, and it's 'MotorTune Brompton Road 01/01/1980"

I'll post up some pictures and details when it's back from MOT garage :thumb:

askgeez said:
I've just picked up my first air cooled classic... and I have the original dealer book and manual, and it's 'MotorTune Brompton Road 01/01/1980"

I'll post up some pictures and details when it's back from MOT garage :thumb:

Is it the Targa?

The current Porsche Retail Group Ltd were originally A.F.N. LIMITED

AFN existed from from 11 Mar 1927 to 21 Nov 2002

AFN... origin....? Archibald Frazer Nash, manufactured interesting chain driven sports cars for a while in Kingston Upon Thames.

Re: Motortune History

1931a said:
I know this a late response to this thread, but as a former employee of MotorTune I thought I would spread some light on questions asked in the thread.
Motortune was in Brompton Road just down from the Michelin Building at Brompton Cross, we were Official Porsche Dealers along with being Official BMW and Alfa dealers.

AFN was the Official dealer in Isleworth West London and it was them that were the original importers of Porsche Cars into the UK.
John Cleave was the MD and was indeed a character, we did sales and service from this site and I started in the workshop as a Technician and progressed to After Sales and then to selling them at Motortune.
They were a privately owned company, the chairman Ronald Clark had a flat above the petrol forecourt which he stayed in when in London. I have very fond memories of working there, and was there for 25 years in total (inc AFN ownership)

I cannot remember the exact dates but BMW put pressure on Motortune to drop the other franchises as they were not compatible to their brand, Motortune made the decision to drop ALFA (Rust Buckets at that time) and BMW and build a new showroom with the glass ceiling in place of the Petrol Forecourt, which at the time in the 90s was still manned by an attendant who filled the car for you, none of this self service stuff.
From this we became a solus Porsche Centre, when the lease came up for renewal, we were told that the cost to renew was astronomical and that the business was being put up for sale.

Charles Follet in St Johns Wood were interested along with Nick Van Der Stein who I believed owned BMW in Kennington.
AFN/Porsche cars were after a central London site and that is how we came under the umbrella of AFN/PCGB.

Isleworth was old and too small, hence the purchase of the old Ford Site on the Great West Road, which was redeveloped into a State of the Art showroom and workshop facility and became the forerunner of how all the Porsche sites look today, and as has been said has been redeveloped again and they have also purchased part of the Old Dairy across the road for further expansion.
I spent 25 years working for Motortune and then AFN when they bought Motortune and still have contact with a number of people who still work there today.

Hi All

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've just come across this after a bit of googling. My father was Sales Manager at AFN Mountune on the Brompton Road. Unfortunately he passed away when i was pretty young but he had some amazing stories from working there and I loved going up there with him. I'd love to hear if anyone remembers him. Terry Fry. I have an old newspaper clipping from when he was interviewed asking if he was worried about the MX-5 being launched.

Thank you all for your lovely feedback. I have made contact with a few colleagues that used to work there including John.

If possible I will upload some images of the car and documentation.

Does anyone know whose signature is in the file? I've also managed to get the original plate back!

Thank you very much.

Attachments

• for_john_189.jpg
    for_john_189.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 22

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back