Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Exhaust blowing

Adsum

The exhaust has started to blow on my 997.1 ... had a look underneath and found that the 'clamping sleeve, rear silencer to catalytic converter' is loose, so it moves along and exposes the gap between the two pipes its supposed to be clamping together ! The bolts on the clamping sleeve are so rusty I won't be able to undo or tighten them up, but as the clamping sleeve is so loose I would be able to slide it off if I could get the catalytic converter or the rear silencer to move along a bit. Question what's the best way to separate these two pipes so I can remove the old clamping sleeve and fit a new one?

Any advice much appreciated

Just to confirm you mean no. 29 here ?

https://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=2783&MAK=3&MDL=26&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

If so you have to remove the silencer to remove the clamp .. this can end up being expense as the silencer bracket bolts corrode and snap .

If the clamp actually moves though then i suspect the bolts have rusted through and as such are not actually holding it together .

Your cheap option is to cut off whats left of the bolts only and just replace them.

We call them Coach bolts at work .

Hi deMort, Yep that's right No. 29, the clamp moves, it slid off towards the Cat and exposed the gap between the two pipes it was supposed to be clamping, that caused the blowing from the exhaust... I've pushed it back so it's in the correct position but it's still loose and the bolts are so rusty I can't tighten or loosen them

the bolts will have broken .. you cant move this sleeve if they havent .. try cutting and knocking them out and replaceing with any bolt long enough .. or order the correct bolts .. i think the part number was on that site i listed .

First pic new bolts fitted, in stainless steel off eBay M8x30mm if I recall correctly
Second pic This was what were left of mine , new coach bolt on left for comparison.

Attachments

• 98ccc31d_fe7d_40e0_8dc4_de9673aa5285_424.jpeg
    98ccc31d_fe7d_40e0_8dc4_de9673aa5285_424.jpeg
    480.5 KB · Views: 991
  • 00dd4be8_bf8b_45f6_956a_2dfbbace3e23_196.jpeg
    00dd4be8_bf8b_45f6_956a_2dfbbace3e23_196.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 991
Thanks demort & Stucart I shall try and fix as you both suggest.... I'll let you know how I get on... thanks again

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back