Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Air box plastic cut-outs snapped off - repair options?

G-996

I noticed that a couple of the plastic square-shaped "cut outs" on my airbox which are used to retain the three tabs for the "snorkel" air intake have snapped off. This means that the snorkel is only retained by a single tab. I'd appreciate if anyone who has come across this problem before could advise how they fixed it.

I think my options are:

(1) Duct tape to keep snorkel held to airbox (temp repair currently in place!), not particularly pretty or robust for the long-term
(2) Buy a new airbox, cost £165 (!)

(3) Buy a second-hand one, the risk is quite a few I have seen online also have the same problem with the cut-outs snapped off.

(4) Use a glue (epoxy resin?) to attached the snorkel to the airbox, but it means I'll never get them apart again. Not sure this would be a problem though

(5) Add a couple of self-tapping screws to retain the snorkel to airbox.

I would be grateful for any advice!

Pictures attached showing the problem

Attachments

• img_0175_1_180.jpg
    img_0175_1_180.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,566
  • img_0177_186.jpg
    img_0177_186.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 1,566
Ive never been quite sure why Porsche made it as a 2 piece item and not just a single one ..

Ive tryed just removeing that end section before but it never comes out and anyways its almost as quick just to remove the whole airbox .

But i digress .. as usual ..

It cant actually fall out as the boot lid rubber locks it in place .. ive seen the same as yours many times but have never fixed one so far .. usually better things for the customer to spend money on once im working on it lol

Glue .. duct tape ( black ) or a small screw will all work with a small screw just below the broken clip being the best solution i feel.

I'd just glue them together. I've had my airbox in bits umpteen times and never once separated these 2 parts.

Broke mine like that years ago... just slapped a bit of tape on it.

Mine did the same. I used a small self tapper screw in each. Seems to work great, much more secure than before

If bonding it I'd try silicon sealer. Will allow flexibility and could be quite easily separated if needs be.

Griffter said:
If bonding it I'd try silicon sealer. Will allow flexibility and could be quite easily separated if needs be.

+1. The translucent stuff.

Thanks for all the replies. I used self-tapping screws in the end. Bought some glue but didn't use it, since the screws seem to hold it in place very well. Pic attached!

Attachments

• img_0181_201.jpg
    img_0181_201.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,388

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back