Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 2 owners - oil consumption?

BenB91

How much oil is your Gen 2 engine using?

On the recommendation of Brookspeed, I am using 10w-40 Semi-synthetic and I am using around 250ml per 1000 miles. Most of my journeys are very short (3 mile trip to the office) - does this have an impact?

Thanks

Most of my Journeys are to work which are 70 miles each way and over the last 2 years i've used approximately 60ml per 1000 miles.
If it helps i'm running standard Mobil1 and my cars on 38k

50 000 miles using 5 - 40, car has used about 200ml in 3000 miles! Not sure if this helps or not?

Mine has used absolutely none at all over the past 25,000 miles

Hello Ben, mine's also been serviced at Brookspeed - they used Mobil 1 0W-40 since the car has only done 35k miles. Mine's a 2011 3.6 engine.
Anyway, no oil used since I got it, according to the onboard display (why they can't have a dipstick is beyond me, but then again so are most modern gadgets).
I get the impression that some gen 2's use a bit of oil, some don't; i.e. it's random.

Gizmo750 said:
Mine has used absolutely none at all over the past 25,000 miles

Likewise, never had to top it up in the 26,000 miles I've had it (although it was obviously changed at its 20,000 mile service).

FWIW, my 3.8 doesn't consume any oil.

Counter Of Beans said:
Hello Ben, mine's also been serviced at Brookspeed - they used Mobil 1 0W-40 since the car has only done 35k miles. Mine's a 2011 3.6 engine.
Anyway, no oil used since I got it, according to the onboard display (why they can't have a dipstick is beyond me, but then again so are most modern gadgets).
I get the impression that some gen 2's use a bit of oil, some don't; i.e. it's random.

Mine is late 2008 and on 69k miles. They advise to use a slightly thicker oil on older cars.

Thanks for your comments.

I've topped up about 500ml total in the last 3 years/25k miles. Daily commute 12 B-road miles each way.

Obviously has had 2 x oil changes in that period as well.

I reckon it's your short journeys, never good for any car.

Less than two litres over 80k miles. They mostly don't use much, but there are a few examples out there that use much more. Porsche quote up to a litre per 600 miles as acceptable, which is a crazy amount IMO.

Mine uses about 120ml per 1000 miles its a 3.6 on 46000 miles 2010
it seems to use abit more on hot summer days & during short runs, I am thinking of changing from Mobil OW-40

Then in cold conditions uses less?

Also Porsche quoting 1litre per 600 miles is mad almost like a fuel
:?:

I've had my car just about 3 years and have never topped up or seen the oil level change.

I do about 1500 miles a year and always make sure the engine oil gets to 90c before I open her up. Mobil 1 0W-40 as per the sticker.

None here on a C2 S at 62k. Still using Mobil 1 0-40. Oil changed annually every 5 k.

Don't you get issues with carbon build up on the DFI engines if they're not warmed up properly? Noticed OP said regular commute is 3 miles. Does the car warm up properly over that distance?

you will get carbon build up on the valves reguardless of what miles you do .. ive used a borescope to have a look at some in the past and its not pretty !

Faults will be a lack of power but we are talking small here .. i scoped a car a few monthes ago .. seperate fault and the valves looked pretty horrible but there was no noticable problems from this .

Ive been looking around for a solution to clean the valves in situe with out a major strip but have come accross nothing sensible so far .. if anyone does then please let me know .

Short journeys will use more oil and its not good for a Porsche im afraid .. make sure you do a long journey at least once a week .. 10 miles or so .

oil usuage is well with in specs considering how you use it imho .

If you felt desperate to replace something then AOS is all i can recommend .. it might make a slight difference .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back