Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Wishbones ( coffin arms ) etc

So my top mount was seized to the piston. In the end I drilled the rubber to separate the main parts of the mount which just left me with the bushing on top. I had split it open by cutting it. There wasn't any evidence of rust, so it was just jammed on by interference fit it looks like.

Anyway - what should have been a quick job, turned into an ordeal - but it is sorted now and ready to go back in.

The RH coffin arm ball joint - that was an even bigger ordeal. I took hours as I didn't want to use excessive heat or force. The metal seat came off of the wheel carrier casting - and it still took a few hours including putting the whole arm in the freezer over night, and more gentle heat, and one of my ball joint scissor splitters broke, and then more heat and more leaving it for a few hours under tension, and eventually a few whacks and it popped off. Then Back in the freezer over night. I heated the casing with an electric heat gun - got it up to 90c (measured using laser thermometer) and then very quickly stuck frozen metal seat back on and a few gentle taps and it was seated again. It was one of those jobs that had all the potential to go wrong...

So, while changing arms is DIY for the most part, if it gets hairy, it helps to have good mechanical knowledge and tools and time...

Seat stuck on ball joint

Attachments

• 91c5a378_77ca_49e4_a391_d7c5a64871c8_978.jpeg
    91c5a378_77ca_49e4_a391_d7c5a64871c8_978.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 3,719
  • 4504948e_0875_4e71_b69d_27bcbb0ae12a_158.jpeg
    4504948e_0875_4e71_b69d_27bcbb0ae12a_158.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 3,719
So there I was tonight - got my LH spring/ damper assembly back into the car with a new Hamburg top mount ( the stud snapped on the original one during alignment last year). I just barely nipped up the 3 nuts on the top mount. I then fitted the new coffin and diagonal arms, jacked up the hub assembly so the weight was on the strut and the suspension was at ride height, torqued up the bolts. I was delighted with the progress. I was about to put the wheel on and I remembered I hadn't torqued the mount nuts, so got out the torque meter, tightened them up, outer 2 first and then before the inner even got to the torque, the stud snapped :sad:

I would like to say I couldn't believe it, but based on my experience so far changing the suspension arms, it is par for the course...I'm just miffed hat I may be out of pocket. I emailed Design911 and explained. Hopefully they will sort me out with a new one...

Just when I thought I was going to be going for alignment on Friday... :frustrated:

Has anyone else had studs shear on Hamburg mounts?

Design911 are sending out a replacement part. No quibble. Fantastic customer service experience. :thumbs:

Dont take this the wrong way as Im sure you're a competent mechanic - could you have looked up the torque in Nm and set it as ft lbs?

I have to stick my glasses on now when setting the wrench to ensure I get the right scale!

Ian

new parts

Evening

I ordered new coffin arms from design 911, 1st one came in a sealed box & the other came in a ripped box with broken seal, plastic covering ripped open & dirty hand prints on the metal so in my books this is not a new part. phoned design 911 on Monday & the guy sounded very uninterested just said take photos & email over. not had a chance to do it but I thought they may have said sorry it should never have been sent out like that & if you return to us we will forward a new sealed unit. am I being fussy?

Paynewright said:
Dont take this the wrong way as Im sure you're a competent mechanic - could you have looked up the torque in Nm and set it as ft lbs?

I have to stick my glasses on now when setting the wrench to ensure I get the right scale!

Ian

No! It was the last of the 3 nuts

Re: new parts

PDCC4S said:
Evening

I ordered new coffin arms from design 911, 1st one came in a sealed box & the other came in a ripped box with broken seal, plastic covering ripped open & dirty hand prints on the metal so in my books this is not a new part. phoned design 911 on Monday & the guy sounded very uninterested just said take photos & email over. not had a chance to do it but I thought they may have said sorry it should never have been sent out like that & if you return to us we will forward a new sealed unit. am I being fussy?

I sent an email with photos and then followed up with a call - so I probably avoided the grief you felt. Regardless, You seem to have had a different experience to me and probably comes down to the individual you dealt with.

Ghianightmare said:
So there I was tonight - got my LH spring/ damper assembly back into the car with a new Hamburg top mount ( the stud snapped on the original one during alignment last year). I just barely nipped up the 3 nuts on the top mount. I then fitted the new coffin and diagonal arms, jacked up the hub assembly so the weight was on the strut and the suspension was at ride height, torqued up the bolts. I was delighted with the progress. I was about to put the wheel on and I remembered I hadn't torqued the mount nuts, so got out the torque meter, tightened them up, outer 2 first and then before the inner even got to the torque, the stud snapped :sad:

I would like to say I couldn't believe it, but based on my experience so far changing the suspension arms, it is par for the course...I'm just miffed hat I may be out of pocket. I emailed Design911 and explained. Hopefully they will sort me out with a new one...

Just when I thought I was going to be going for alignment on Friday... :frustrated:

Has anyone else had studs shear on Hamburg mounts?

Same happened to me couple of years ago.

I was desperate so I drilled the stud out and secured with a nut and bolt. Within 6 months the rubber mount on BOTH sides had separated. Design 911 claimed they had never ever heard of it happening. Yeah, right.

I eventually got a refund from them. Those were the last parts I ever bought from Design911, I find them overpriced for just about everything.

I fitted SACHS top mounts from autodoc.co.uk, cheaper (£20 each) than design911 and they are the genuine part supplier, identical to those from the OPC.

Hi Wazz,

The Sachs top mounts aren't avaiable for the C4S - I did a lot of checking prior to buying and the Hamburg ones got good reviews

I'll just have to see how it goes. I'm going to Video myself torquing the new one in case similar happens.

Sorry for a bit of a thread hijack but does anyone know where to get rear top mounts for a 3.4 c2 from? The tip for autodoc for the fronts was great but can't find rears for anything under the 72quid each for hambergs from d911 which seems a little excessive?

asterix_the_gaul said:
Sorry for a bit of a thread hijack but does anyone know where to get rear top mounts for a 3.4 c2 from? The tip for autodoc for the fronts was great but can't find rears for anything under the 72quid each for hambergs from d911 which seems a little excessive?

hmmm. Mine were in good nick at ~110k so I reused them.

Usually its the parts shared with Boxster that are cheap (fronts, arms etc), anything 911 specific and you struggle to get aftermarket parts as they don't sell so many.

On Design911 £72 becomes £95 with Vat and delivery.

Same Hamburg part here for £85:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HT-Stutz...ts-links-passend-fur-Porsche-996/172957715691

Pair £160
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HT-Stutz...ts-links-passend-fur-Porsche-996/362372513229

Not sure on delivery costs.

asterix_the_gaul said:

Do they need replacing? They were about the only part I didn't replace, CG advised they are expensive and rarely fail along with the rear upper arms.....

For the arms, they also said their experience suggests that aftermarket parts are not good enough and the Porsche parts are expensive.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back