Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

The Finn's 997 4S progress thread - GT3 RS Wheels

These then got pushed into the tips and fitted to the car. I will have to post up a final shot later as one of the old brackets on the tips snapped when I went a bit OTT with tightening with the impact driver so I am waiting for stainless clamp in the post but one side fitteded nicely. The rings I made tightened down fine and still gave the adjustment in angle because of the profile I had achieved by grinding down the sides.

Attachments

• 20181003_145222_165.jpg
    20181003_145222_165.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 3,828
How long are you going to keep the lid on your other delivery!?
:food: :food: :food: :food: :food: :food: :food:

Nice bit of DIY mate, all you now need is an order and it will keep you busy for the rest of the year ....

Is that a plaster I can see on your finger - OUCH

Good job Mike :thumb: :thumb:

John997 said:
Nice bit of DIY mate, all you now need is an order and it will keep you busy for the rest of the year ....

Thanks mate I won't be making any more these were a one off especially with my soft hands that cut too easily

Thefinn said:
John997 said:

Thanks mate I won't be making any more these were a one off especially with my soft hands that cut too easily

Mike I am very impressed that you just got on with making them , so a bit untidy but its in the exhast so who cares as long as it does the job and stops the car looking like a beetle with no tips :grin: :grin: Saturday you say ok in that case I am :stay: :stay: :stay: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :boogie:

Good job :thumb: Just shows what you can do with a little perseverance and a few tools!

These olives/rings are notoriously hard to get hold of! Just need to find a machine shop who can knock out 50/100 off on an auto lathe and and flog them on the forum!

Thanks Phil. They were looking pretty good until I couldn't find the dremel parts and just went at them with the chop saw for the ridges but like you said I just thought well it's how they work rather than how they look in this instance. One thing I will add is that I managed to make the elliptical profile as the old ones which give the adjustment where as the ones James made might have looked a bit tidier but they the angels were straight rather than round so I wasn't sure they would work the same, i could be wrong and they might still work fine but I just got too impatient to find out.

With regards to then other mods I am going to have to get them done for definite now a few of you are waiting and I have committed to it, but I have to say mate I went quite bold with the colour but I think you are going to like the results :thumb:

DucatiRob said:
Good job :thumb: Just shows what you can do with a little perseverance and a few tools!

These olives/rings are notoriously hard to get hold of! Just need to find a machine shop who can knock out 50/100 off on an auto lathe and and flog them on the forum!

Thanks Rob I thought it was worth shot once I found out the dimensions were basically a standard pipe size. I know they are a bit free hand probably more than i would like but as Phil said you don't see them so as long as they work. I know I had a chop saw which not everyone does but I could have also made them with a grinder just being careful.

If there is someone who can make them on a lathe they could just start of with the same size pipe and do a nice tidy job.

So after a ridiculously busy time for me at work and home life the progress thread is a bit behind a few jobs i have done on the car as i just haven't had the time to update it.

Its been about 6 weeks now since i started lowering the car with the Techart springs i bought at the beginning of the year. The first shot is before i got going on this job with the standard stance which for me is just too high

Attachments

• 20180929_183522_201.jpg
    20180929_183522_201.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 3,468
  • 20180929_212408_140.jpg
    20180929_212408_140.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,468
The actual spring changed over a couple of weekends as i am not the fastest but also like to do other jobs while i am in there. I started with the front end being the hardest to do and also needing the most work, first up was to mark the location of the bolts so that once i had finished the spring change they could go back in the same position. After this the car was jacked up and the wheels and brake calipers were taken off for access. Now although this is one of the biggest jobs i have done on the car for some reason i took the least amount of photos of the whole process. If you are doing this yourself there are plenty of guides to follow as mine wont be the best

Attachments

• 20180930_075658_100.jpg
    20180930_075658_100.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 3,464
Once the shocks were out of the car and taken apart i decided to give them a bit of a refurb as they were showing signs of rust, so they were rubbed back with a wire wheel on a grinder. I also did the same with the top mounts as the bushes were fine but the plates a little rusty. Once taken back to metal they were masked up and given a good spray with some matt black

Attachments

• 20180930_134555_120.jpg
    20180930_134555_120.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 3,463
  • 20180930_134922_181.jpg
    20180930_134922_181.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 3,463
while these were drying i gave everything else a good clean and dust off with a wire brush if required, then the barrings were stripped down cleaned and put back together all nicely greased. Then the shocks went back together and back in the car. Both sides of the front were completed but like i said before for some reason i just didn't take many photos of this job so its not much of a write up

Attachments

• 20180930_140248_532.jpg
    20180930_140248_532.jpg
    697.3 KB · Views: 3,460
now unfortunately i ran out of time so the car was parked back in the garage for a couple of weeks until i had time to complete the back of the car. While the car was in the middle of the spring change i had also dropped my new wheels off with a local guy to have them powder coated which is one reason why i was trying to get this job done as i didn't want to fit the new wheels with the standard ride height. I got them back mid week and had the car booked in for new rubber over the weekend as i just couldn't wait so put the pressure on myself to get the rear springs changed, so i found myself changing the rears on a Friday night after work.

First job on the back for my cab is to put the roof into the service position and remove the carpet

Attachments

• 20181012_154440_799.jpg
    20181012_154440_799.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 3,453

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back