Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water temp

davidjf7

Hi all,

On my 997.2 my water temp gauge has always been straight up as soon as it's warm (80 degrees).

Last couple of days I've noticed it's been dropping lower (and then recovering again).

Does that mean I have a thermostat issue?

Thanks

Demort will be along this evening after he has finished work.

The guage isn't accurate, just gives you an indication that you're in the desired range. So weird if it is dropping off.

Are we talking a big drop or a small one ?

Once driveing does it tend to stay at 80 degrees ?

There may well be no fault as its colder now but it could be electrical as well .. with out an eml on then i think for now just keep an eye on it as the car will trigger this if it thinks there is a problem.

Other than that you are left with a fault code read out and perhaps a look at the actual temps with the tester and not the gauge ... so probably a garage job.

There are no set problems i can think of for this fault .. thermo faults tend to be a big cool off and a struggle to reach temp as they fail open.

The same for a box heat exchanger fault .. which ive not sen on a PDK .. only a Tip .

I think for now i would just keep an eye on it .

deMort said:
Are we talking a big drop or a small one ?

Once driveing does it tend to stay at 80 degrees ?

There may well be no fault as its colder now but it could be electrical as well .. with out an eml on then i think for now just keep an eye on it as the car will trigger this if it thinks there is a problem.

Other than that you are left with a fault code read out and perhaps a look at the actual temps with the tester and not the gauge ... so probably a garage job.

There are no set problems i can think of for this fault .. thermo faults tend to be a big cool off and a struggle to reach temp as they fail open.

The same for a box heat exchanger fault .. which ive not sen on a PDK .. only a Tip .

I think for now i would just keep an eye on it .

Thanks demort :thumb:

Driving round the m25 yesterday. 14 degrees outside, 70mph or so. Was dropping off to as low as 65 degrees and then recovering again to 80. Oil temp seems ok.

Seems weird as it's never done this before :?:

Ok thats not right ..

the closest ive seen is on a gen 1 Tip , an electric valve fails and allows coolant to cool the heat exchanger when it shouldnt .. temp is around 65 degrees so very similar.

PDK and im pretty sure there is a similar heat exchanger .

You dont say if its a PDK or a manual so im guessing at a PDK.

Sooo you need to get it looked at just in case ..

Only thing i think you can check is just make sure both fans are working .. if one jams the other runs flat out to compensate ( over cooling ) .. pretty easy as you just start it up and listen .. one will be very loud .. or just put a/c on and your hand in front of each side to confirm.

deMort said:
Ok thats not right ..

the closest ive seen is on a gen 1 Tip , an electric valve fails and allows coolant to cool the heat exchanger when it shouldnt .. temp is around 65 degrees so very similar.

PDK and im pretty sure there is a similar heat exchanger .

You dont say if its a PDK or a manual so im guessing at a PDK.

Sooo you need to get it looked at just in case ..

Only thing i think you can check is just make sure both fans are working .. if one jams the other runs flat out to compensate ( over cooling ) .. pretty easy as you just start it up and listen .. one will be very loud .. or just put a/c on and your hand in front of each side to confirm.

Yep, PDK.

Had a fan jam before when a bit of 'surface dressing' got stuck in one of the fans. Haven't noticed that noise again, so don't think it's that, but will check.

Thanks again for your advice deMort - will get it checked out

So OPC says it sounds like a thermostat issue and want £170 + VAT to do a diagnostic test...

If the car is under warrenty then you have little choice .. if not then perhaps a local indy.

Usual base diagnostic check is 1 hours labour .

Whilst a thermostate is a possible cause im not totally convinced its that ,, the symptoms seem a bit off but at the end of the day im just guessing .

Either way its a bit of a large drop off in temp as 65 degrees is pretty low and shoulnt be able to happen on a fault free car .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron2325
Back