Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Popular/Unpopular Paint Colours

911Time

Hi all,

Still searching for my 911 (waiting to find a 991 with the right spec and lumbar adj seats) but I was just wondering what the consensus was regarding paint colour.

I know it's a very personal thing - what one person loves another won't but are there any colours to steer clear of when it comes to buying a 911? I mean specific to the Carrera/S, as opposed to the GT cars which can wear lairy shades better.

FWIW my own favourites for Carrera/S models are GT Silver/Platinum Silver, Carrera White, Agate Grey & Guards Red.

My other half likes deeper colours like the Dark Blue and Black but I swore I wasn't going to have a dark car again....

What do you like and are there any to avoid?

It is not just about the outside. You also need to consider the interior trim colour- for example, you don't hear a lot of positive comments about Savannah Beige....'

Beware of anything that looks like it was specced up by Stevie Wonder with a hangover - very tough to sell on if you ever decide you have another itch to scratch

I haven't seen a 991 exterior colour that I don't like although I'd personally avoid Black and Dark Blue.

Colour avoidance is more to do with some of the exterior/interior colour combinations that you will find.

Interior wise Black is always a safe bet. Dark Greys and Dark Blues are ok. Light Grey and Beige/Sand are less popular and Red is a very personal choice.

Surprisingly 'two-tone' colours don't seem to be well thought after but I think Agate/Pebble looks lovely.

I would be on the hunt for some of the electric blues Mexico, Miami, Sapphire they are stunning without being too lairy and Blue is very in at the moment and the more exiting shades of blue dont really go out of date . Blacks and shades of silver are always popular but quite sedate and not very exiting but always safe .
GUARDS RED AND SPEED YELLOW will always be admired and have a following but its an enthusiasts choice and not very often selected by the safe grey suit wearers.

thats my 2p :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Ah, another colour thread.
Let wife decide.

The cars in macadamia metallic brown seems to stick at dealers for a while, but clearly the original owner liked it enough to shell out...

Lighter colours hide scratches, swirls and chips better.

Pininfarina had his cars in silver as he said that it showed a cars shape best. So yup, can't go far wrong with GT Silver.

The suitability (or otherwise) of the exterior/interior combo is an important factor - I saw a nice looking car the other day in Silver, with low miles and pretty much every item I want and then I saw the interior.....Brown, on a Silver car :sad:

Somebody must have liked it but not me which killed a potential purchase dead in its tracks...

White obviously :thumb: Red or yellow also considered :grin:

Blue, black, silver, grey, someone loves them I suppose and that stops everyone chasing the exciting colours :D

Red is not known as 'Resale Red' in the trade for nothing :roll: Provided it's in the right model - 991 is probably not one of them.

Zingari said:
Red is not known as 'Resale Red' in the trade for nothing :roll: Provided it's in the right model - 991 is probably not one of them.

Certainly, some of the previous models suit Red really well but then I also think (if it weren't for the comfort issue for me) I'd be more drawn to the 911'ness of the previous shapes anyway - so I don't know, maybe that makes them seem more appealing in a traditional colour like Guards :dont know:

I've hundreds of pictures of 911s of all eras on my computer and remember the official press pics for the 991, which included a Guards Red Carrera and GT Silver Carrera S.

Like this but personally I'd never have a beige interior on a red Porsche :nooo:

Attachments

• porsche_991_2011_05_103.jpg
    porsche_991_2011_05_103.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 4,225
  • porsche_991_2011_01_998.jpg
    porsche_991_2011_01_998.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 4,225
Robertb said:
Its funny because Rosso/Crema is a default Ferrari colour combo.

A beige/cream interior would look good in a 991... look at this for example. I think its called bi-colour.
https://www.stirlings.co.uk/Cars/Sold/2014-Porsche-911-991-Targa-4S-PDK-16-500-Miles-Sold/3

Or I do like the Cocoa interior... a bit less black than erm, black, but has a bit of tone to it. Goes a treat with GT silver.

On a Ferrari Red/Cream or Red/Beige is almost de rigeur but I just don't think it suits the 911. The 991 Targa 4S in Black/Beige is a nice combination (but not for me as I'm steering clear of Black).

There are some frankly odd exterior/interior colour combinations but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

I'm guessing it would be best to give this shade a wide berth :dont know:

Attachments

• porsche996safari_106.jpg
    porsche996safari_106.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 4,212

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porsche Die Hard
Back