Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Chassis Rails & Bumper Supports

This is great work NIBrown.

The chassis leg corrosion issue is a strange one, some suffer much more than others for sure, I'm not sure it's mileage related either.

It's an easy enough fix to do at home if confident enough, think it was Baz that first brought it to our attention.

Good thing with this job is you can sort all the rear end bumper attachment issues at the same time.

I'm currently replacing two rear brake lines that attach to the flexi hose, mine were corroded but boy do they take some shifting. Also replaced part of engine bay skirt/seal which was slightly split and the engine sound pad has been renewed.

How much did the new bumper brackets cost, the three that sit along the top?, was thinking of getting new myself or have them zinc coated.

Trev

Cameltoe & Heel said:
This is great work NIBrown.

The chassis leg corrosion issue is a strange one, some suffer much more than others for sure, I'm not sure it's mileage related either.

It's an easy enough fix to do at home if confident enough, think it was Baz that first brought it to our attention.

Good thing with this job is you can sort all the rear end bumper attachment issues at the same time.

I'm currently replacing two rear brake lines that attach to the flexi hose, mine were corroded but boy do they take some shifting. Also replaced part of engine bay skirt/seal which was slightly split and the engine sound pad has been renewed.

How much did the new bumper brackets cost, the three that sit along the top?, was thinking of getting new myself or have them zinc coated.

Trev

Hi Trev,

You are right, the chassis corrosion issue doesn't really appear to relate significantly to the mileage, weird :?:
Not an entirely difficult job to undertake yourself, agreed, but a bit of time and patience is required to remove the seized nuts and bolts :frustrated:

If you mean the brackets that are pop-riveted onto the plastic bumper, I only had to replace one, as the other were perfect, it was the middle one at £36.59 incl VAT after discount. They come anodised anyway, so no need to zinc plate.
The other bumper support brackets painted black, are 2 per side. Can't remember how much the rear ones were, as I bought these quite some time ago, but the front ones are £78.47 each. These are more likely to corrode over time - mine lasted over 20 years and 64K miles, so in reality, new ones should last longer as these cars are getting used less and less :dont know:

I've been into mine replacing brake lines, as I renewed the hoses to all calipers for Goodridge braided and they were seized on, so had to cut the brake pipes! good excuse to bleed the whole system through and refill with some nice DOT 4!

Hi there Barney ....... long time no see ...... :bye:

Yup it was he indeed who put the cat amongst the pigeons ....... before that it was a happy life of "ignorance is bliss" ...... :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back