Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Corrosion issues to pipes , mentioning again.

deMort

Monaco
Car in for a temp gauge failure .. its a tip , turned out to be the electric valve on the tip box that had failed .. over cooling basically .

Whilst on the ramp i saw coolant dripping out from the center part of the undertrays so removed and inspected .

Pipes in the center had rotted through in the brackets , had a look at the crossover pipes and they were heavily corroded and damp.

Started to replace these items .. rear pipes were also corroded , unable to save pipes over engine so im now dropping the engine / tip box ( more expensive ) to replace almost every coolant pipe.

Not a drop of acf 50 or waxoil on the car .. even the brake pipes are corrodeing badly ... ill not mention the chassis rust !

Moral is .. if they havent been coated in something then please get it done .. i dont care if its waxoil , acf 50 or even bitumen .. get it done or you will end up with a very large bill like this poor guy .

Public service Message ends .

I find this all very frustrating.... mine went in for a major last week and I asked them to look under the trays and apply some waxoyl to all the weak points.
They just weren't interested - trays provide all the protection you need etc.
Don't worry they said, 997s are solid, not like the old cars....

Can anyone recommend someone in the East Midlands to do this job for me?

As a stand alone job i would guess at 1 hours labour charge .. that would include the " waxoil or what ever ".

A lot of indys do this reguardless on a major service ... but i am talking about spray what ever you can sort of job and not just a few pipes , so this would involve removeing all undertrays .

All i can say is .. its well worth it as im guessing the job im doing is £4 - 5k to replace pipes .. and im waxoiling them along with tip pipes , brake pipes chassis etc etc .

How solid a car is depends on where it lives .. im near the coast so these suffer badly .. but any car as it gets older will suffer .. all i can say is i havent done total coolant pipe replacements just once .. a/c .. brake pipes .. they all suffer in the end and its not a huge expense to try and prevent it .. hence this post .

Excellent information as always! :worship:

Cars corrode, whatever the brand

I do wonder how long AC50 lasts. It looks amazing when it goes on, so that's good. I've covered everything on mine in the stuff, so I'll keep an eye on how well it lasts as it's a new product to me.

Some time ago, I read comparisons between various treatments like Waxoil, inc one guy who built Concours-quality cars did his own tests with salt water trays.. and the stuff from bilthamber always came out on top.

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/dynax-ub

This might be a silly question, but do you need to do anything to remove any salt etc that has accumulated prior to waxoiling (or whatever), or do you just apply it?

Robert SausageTrousers said:
This might be a silly question, but do you need to do anything to remove any salt etc that has accumulated prior to waxoiling (or whatever), or do you just apply it?
I would do as much as you can to clean before applying anything. Like paint, it wont stick very well to dust or salt. On top of that, you don't really want to seal that salt in either.

Cleaning wise, I would consider snow foaming or Muck Off applied to the underside, then pressure wash it off (not too close with the high pressure jet) Then let it dry really well before coating

Can any of you kind souls point me in the direction of sourcing replacement plastic hex nut which hold the undertrays on? once i have some of these- its out with the waxoyl and up on the ramps.
cheers.

That makes for sobering reading. And I can only confirm that the pipes on some cars can be a very weak point, having seen several that were very long gone on a few PPIs done over the last year.

Even the cars I've looked at that have lived life away from the sea seemed to be afflicted, especially if not garaged and sitting out on the street.

I know what the first thing is that I'll be doing once I get another one.

A few picts to show you what the cross over pipes look like and where i emptyed my first of 2 cans of waxoil .

Second can will be tomorrow :D

You can see the pipes that require the engine out.

Attachments

• pipes_2_209.jpg
    pipes_2_209.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 2,650
  • pipes_195.jpg
    pipes_195.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 2,650
  • pipes_1_177.jpg
    pipes_1_177.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 2,650
  • pipes_3_153.jpg
    pipes_3_153.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 2,648
Yep - recognise the pipes from the last pic as I've just had mine done. Not a cheap fix but the news ones are now treated as recommended. :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back