Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How do I know my LSD still works?

I had an "S" reg late 98 but 99 C2 that was a limited edition "Lux" model fitted with full dark grey leather and an LSD.
Used to leave 50' parallel black stripes.
Just lovely....

edge said:
Doesn't appear to be a massive amount online about the diff type that Porsche fits to there sports cars but if I recall correctly the diff I ordered for my 981 was described as a mechanical diff ( clutch) and my understanding is that this replaced the early type of diff (Viscous) . Not sure if jacking the car and rotating one wheel to see if the other rotates in the same direction will work as I think that both the diff types that Porsche use only come into affect if one of the drive wheels loses traction when under power.

I am probably wrong but as I say not to much info around.

Clutch style LSD for early cars, the viscous diff was for the 4wd ones at the front.

infrasilver said:
The basic test is to jack the rear of the car up and spin a wheel by hand, if they spin together the LSD is still working but I don't think this definite.

According to the thread you linked ( :thumb: thank you, excellent resources in there!) and the research Ive done, the 996 LSD in the older cars will only work under load. The jack-test doesnt load the system and therefore gives you no way to know if its working.

infrasilver said:
:mechanic:

I'm off to attempt some 11'ses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ9hggHF5VU

So in the name of Science I tracked down a private test track with smooth tarmac surface that was slightly dusty and laid down some rubber. :grin:

Had to filter the picture a little to bring out the black lines.

44794492184_043baf717d_c.jpg

The shorter lines at the start are with PSM on and the much longer lines are with PSM off, I also have an LSD fitted which is supposed to confuse the PSM but it all seemed to work out fine.

31647692038_b0b3753b5b_c.jpg

It would have just kept laying rubber but as it started to get a little sideways and the road turns rough with pot holes, I backed out.

Ideally we could do with comparing a non LSD PSM car in similar conditions to compare with the above.

Top man infrasilver that's the best way to prove if your LSD works 👌

How did you do those? Handbrake + full throttle then release?

Attachments

• i_heart_science_196.png
    i_heart_science_196.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 1,515
You need somewhere like this:

:eek: :thumbs:

infrasilver said:

Off topic, but what wheels are on your car?

infrasilver said:
Stotty said:

They are BBS but I can't remember the model.

Do you have any other photos of the car with them on? They look to properly fill the arches!

Stotty said:
infrasilver said:
Stotty said:

They are BBS but I can't remember the model.

Do you have any other photos of the car with them on? They look to properly fill the arches!

They do fill the rear arch but a little too much IMO (bit Carlos Fandango), but I do like them and they do suit the 996 when most aftermarket wheels don't.

A most recent shot.
44610130915_e1f70950c2_c.jpg

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back