Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How long to transfer plate

k11pol

I'm collecting my new car at the end of the week and wandering how long it takes for me to be allowed to put my own plate on. It's on retention so wasnt sure Of the process. Can I do it online these days or do I have to send the v5 document by post then wait for it to be returned before registering my plate to the car ?

Online in minutes. You can do your V5 online in minutes too (to enable you to tax the car).

I thought that as that was the case when I put my plate on retention but the opc is saying the documents have to be filled in when I arrive then sent away. They have made me a set of plates with my number on it but say they can't fit them yet.

That's OPC still working in the dark age.

Edit: Unless you physically have to wait for the V5 to be returned.

Can they not put the plate on with the old V5 online, then re register it in your name once the plates changed? :dont know:

alex yates said:

Can they not put the plate on with the old V5 online, then re register it in your name once the plates changed? :dont know:

that would be the best way otherwise your waiting 5/10 days for the new V5 in your name to arrive before you can do the online transfer. :thumb:

alex yates said:

You do have to wait for the V5 but a call to the DVLA might save a day or two if they'll give you the new V5 reference number over the phone.

I'm pretty sure that the car and retention document have to be in the same name so the second suggestion wouldn't be possible.

No way round it you have to wait for the reg document in your name to do it online. I tried phoning they wouldn't give the information over the phone. As it was September mine took 3 weeks to arrive!

When i bought my car, the dealer transferred the car into my name online as soon as i had paid. The new V5 took 3 days to come through allowing me to get my plate on the car ready for collection.

The key is to get the dealer/seller to do the registered keeper update online as this is an automated process which takes days rather than weeks if the paper V5 is sent off in the post.

Cheers,
James

I'm in this position at the moment, had retention certificate and V5 of sold car with original No. on, but cant do anything till get V5 for new car in my name, once that arrives I can do it online, until then cant do anything. :x

Just wanted to give my very recent experience.... as everyone says you have to have the V5 in your name to put the plate on.

I bought my car on the Sunday, changed registered owner online while I was with the seller, the new V5 arrived on Thursday and I changed to my private plate the same day, so 4 days.

alex yates said:
If the yellow (trade) section of the V5 hasn't been sent off yet then assigning the plate using that V5 will cause a new V5 with the private plate to be sent to the previous owner (which will confuse them and strictly speaking they'll then own the plate and could retain it themselves if they were that way inclined). The V5 that the OPC currently has will now be invalid and you'll need to obtain the new V5 from the previous owner to then register the car to the new owner.
If the yellow (trade) section of the logbook has been sent to DVLA then you can't do anything as you cannot apply (or remove) private plates to cars which are in the trade (ie yellow section has been completed).

T8 said:
You do have to wait for the V5 but a call to the DVLA might save a day or two if they'll give you the new V5 reference number over the phone.

I'm pretty sure that the car and retention document have to be in the same name so the second suggestion wouldn't be possible.

DVLA will not give out the doc ref number over the phone (I tried recently).
The retention document does not have to be in your name, you just need to use the validation character on the certificate and tick the box stating that the grantee has given you (the nominee) permission to assign the plate.

Get the OPC to do the change of ownership online and you'll receive the new logbook within 5 working days. Then as soon as you have the V5 you can assign the plate online and put the plate on the car. Then, within another 5 working days you'll receive another V5 showing the private plate assigned to the car.

Milo72 said:
Just wanted to give my very recent experience.... as everyone says you have to have the V5 in your name to put the plate on.

I bought my car on the Sunday, changed registered owner online while I was with the seller, the new V5 arrived on Thursday and I changed to my private plate the same day, so 4 days.

Same recent experience for me too, key is to initate and conclude online, then it's just the V5 post time from DVLA to you in between.

MJA911 said:
Milo72 said:

Same recent experience for me too, key is to initate and conclude online, then it's just the V5 post time from DVLA to you in between.

Yep so avoid September of March 3-4 weeks wait. :evil:

Just remember to tell your Insurance company :judge:

I swapped plates but forgot this vital detail and made it all of two miles before pinging passing plods ANPR :cop:

A quick phone call to the Insurance company and a naughty naughty later and I was on my way :hand:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back