Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

R8 V10 Manual what do we think

I used to know someone who had one of the first V10 Spyders in the country. The engine is certainly special, but I found the whole thing a bit clinical personally (the ride was a bit "magic carpet" compared to a 911 and I felt somewhat insulated from the road rather than involved with it). By any objective measure they are very good cars, but if you are going to buy into the low ground clearance and high running costs there is always an open question as to whether you might not be better off getting a Lamborghini that has already done its depreciation... :?:

Personally not a fan of Audis, be it the R8 or the Porsche 992 :grin:

Not driven a V10 R8 but did drive a V8. We had an A3 at the time. Other than the steering wheel being flat along the bottom the interior was exactly the same and very disappointing. Overly easy steering, definitely lacking in power, wide. Got lots of stares when driving it and it did sound good.

I don't think anyone can say they are bad cars, but there are a lot better out there for me personally.

Currently considering an early R8 V10 spyder. Test drove a car a couple of weeks back and was surprised just how well it turned in and gripped. I think I was expecting it to be soft with vague steering but it felt surprisingly 'racy'.
I'm yearning to get back into a manual sports car, and having driven it on a flowing country road, being able to just hold it in gear and balance it on the throttle listening to that wonderful noise hooked me!
Early cars are half the price they were new and although running costs won't be cheap, they'll be a lot cheaper than a Lambo service I'm sure...

I have had a V8 and V10 (albeit cab), Both manual. The V8 works best with an exhaust and I also had a remap for about 450bhp, fast but not super car quick. One of the finest cars I have owned.

One point on the V10 that is not well known is that the engine output is artificially restricted by the throttle position sensor, when throttle depressed 100% the engine throttle position is open 80%. I had my V10 remapped, which wasn't really a remap and more of a throttle position adjustment and it made 605bhp, similar to the lambo engine. It's a must do mod in my book as it just uncorks the engine.

The V10 coupe, manual is the absolute sweet spot (cab had too much flex for my liking) and with the 'adjustment" a bona dude super car for very sensible money.

I have had a V8 and V10 (albeit cab), Both manual. The V8 works best with an exhaust and I also had a remap for about 450bhp, fast but not super car quick. One of the finest cars I have owned.

One point on the V10 that is not well known is that the engine output is artificially restricted by the throttle position sensor, when throttle depressed 100% the engine throttle position is open 80%. I had my V10 remapped, which wasn't really a remap and more of a throttle position adjustment and it made 605bhp, similar to the lambo engine. It's a must do mod in my book as it just uncorks the engine.

The V10 coupe, manual is the absolute sweet spot (cab had too much flex for my liking) and with the 'adjustment" a bona dude super car for very sensible money.

That's very interesting, who did the 'remap' for you? I like the sound of that!

One of my business partners has just bought a new Lambo Hurrucan - LP 560 I believe?

He's not really a car guy, freely admitting he likes to pose.

Its certainly not boring, that engine sounds fabulous at full chat. The most impressive thing to me though was the transmission - absolutely zero sense of the gears shifting when driving, only the noise changing.

The interior is all audi. He says he loves this car because inside it reminds him of his audi TT but its much quicker :frustrated:

Huracan will be LP580-2, LP610-4 or LP640-4. LP560 is the Gallardo.

Got to take my hat off to anyone buying the RWD version. Had a soft spot for those since the Gallardo version.

I'm very surprised the V10 manuals are so cheap. I'd have one in a heart beat if i didn't prefer the extra practicality and anonymity of a 911.

Magic919 said:
Got to take my hat off to anyone buying the RWD version. Had a soft spot for those since the Gallardo version.

What are the traction aids like? As I've said he's never had a powerful car before and it shows when he drives it. I can see him coming a cropper with a bit of damp road unless the computer wizadry is good.

Lovely looking thing, jet black. Narrower than a Jag F-type he reckons.

I think the car will keep him safe. It'll cut the power down unless he's daft enough to switch the computers off.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back