Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

air con problem

johne

while having a service I got my car regassed .it had a new pump when I bought the car but has never worked properly . this is what happens when I turn the air con on full it seems to blow out cool air for a couple of seconds and then a flap seems to close off .any ideas also it dosent blow as strong as the cold air (heater blower) thanks

Pretzel, thanks for the reference.

I would guess this is a vacuum leak, causing the resirculation flap to not open when needed.
If you turn the temp setting to minimum, the CCU will resirculate the cabin air to get down to the desired temperature as quickly as possible.
The fresh air and mixer flaps is servo operated, and it takes 5-6 seconds for them to close. If the resirc flap is not opening, the fans will have nowhere to draw air from, and the air volume is significantly reduced.
Check the vacuum hose connections on the flap actuator and on the valve in the luggage compartment. Pics and details can be seen on this page:
https://www.bergvillfx.com/porschehvac2

Cheers,
Tore

air con prob

Thanks tore the headlight pack for the 993 i bought from you are fantastic

aircon problem

well after a year ive finally started to look at my air con . as up until this morning I didn't know what anyone was talking about . I followed tore,s instructions and it seems like all the flaps are working properly . when the clutch engages on the pump the cold air pipe gets really cold.but by the time it gets to the vents its not so cold . it seems better when you recirulate the air ill check the temp at the vents and get a regass with the dye and see how I go from there .wish me luck

Yes indeed - good luck!

I finally bit the bullet and had the evaporator changed on my car. It had been leaking for maybe 5 years - possibly a bit morr. Some of that sealant gunge they sell in the US and a re-gass every two years bought it more time though, before bowing to the inevitable.

It's such a big job (10 hours plus) as it's buried deep behind the dash, plus the above stop-gap fix which is why I kept putting it off. Given the age of these cars now, i can't imagine mine was alone in being 'shot'. That said the condenser at the front will also suffer a similar fate, but is a hell of a lot easier to get at!

Kind regards

tim

Replaced the whole sytem last year just before the heat wave 8)
The condenser was toast, evap not too bad and pretty easy to do. Sill pipes had already been replaced twice (redone due to bad fitting by indie who I no longer use) and I found a cheap brand new compressor.
The evap is a real pain to swap, so much disassembly.
Fortunately I have a good mate who does a/c and has a twin 993, same colour made only a few weeks apart.

Attachments

• image043_701.jpg
    image043_701.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2,686
mine didn't look quite as bad as that - but not far off!!

but was your air con pipe still getting really cold before you both changed everything ?

after reading your posts on doing the job yourself .I don't think I have the knowledge or tools .following the instructions on the pelican parts forum seems like it be possible .but ive followed them before when changing the springs .they said you could undo the top bolt and use a 7 mil allem key .there was no way it was coming undone .and I had zip it with a wheel nut gun .got there in the end

johne said:
but was your air con pipe still getting really cold before you both changed everything ?

In my case no. Aside from not getting cold in the car, it was obvious the compressor clutch had stopped engaging. So in my case it was losing gas. Sounds like you may have a rather different problem.

Best of luck getting it sorted

Endoman said:
The condenser was toast, evap not too bad and pretty easy to do. Sill pipes had already been replaced twice (redone due to bad fitting by indie who I no longer use) and I found a cheap brand new compressor.
Fortunately I have a good mate who does a/c and has a twin 993, same colour made only a few weeks apart.

John my sill pipes are shot as the nuts were destroyed removing the pipes, where did you source your new pipes?.

Cheers
Trev

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Endoman said:

John my sill pipes are shot as the nuts were destroyed removing the pipes, where did you source your new pipes?.

Cheers
Trev

I purchased new ones direct from OPC at Towcester, not cheap at about £190 each plus the rubber mountings before any discount that you can negotiate.

If you Google Technical Bulletin 9601 it gives you the part numbers.

tim993 said:
In my case no. Aside from not getting cold in the car, it was obvious the compressor clutch had stopped engaging. So in my case it was losing gas. Sounds like you may have a rather different problem.

Was there not a H&S risk running the system in the carcoon :dont know:

All 993 cars will need their AC fettling. Getting it done costs the dough or advertising with "AC just needs a re-gas" is free :roll:

Zingari said:
tim993 said:

Was there not a H&S risk running the system in the carcoon :dont know:

All 993 cars will need their AC fettling. Getting it done costs the dough or advertising with "AC just needs a re-gas" is free :roll:

Indeed a high risk 😬

In my experience there is almost no such thing as a cheap to fix problem with a 993 a/c system. But looked at another way the cars are over 20 years old so it would be amazing if various elements did not need some replacements. Unfortunately some are high labour jobs. 😕😕

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back