Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 Turbo ..... forgot how brutal it was

Jonathon555

After not having time to drive the turbo for quite a while ......

OMFG .... these things are brutal with a few mods , they are so raw by comparison to newer 911's

I have been driving my 997.2 c2s , a nice comfy car that dances round the corners and you can play it like a fiddle. The turbo is like sledge hammer in comparison the rate it stacks on speed is devastating and it just keeps going.

I had forgotten what it was like, i just did not expect to be blown away by it.

But i was :thumb:

Jonathon555 said:

OMFG .... these things are brutal with a few mods , they are so raw by comparison to newer 911's

I have been driving my 997.2 c2s , a nice comfy car that dances round the corners and you can play it like a fiddle. The turbo is like sledge hammer in comparison the rate it stacks on speed is devastating and it just keeps going.

Know exactly what you mean there, brutal is an apt description. Took mine to Goodwood last week where, despite having driven the car there, the first time I properly nailed it, the thing just felt massively quick. Awesome cars.

ragpicker said:
Jon, glad to hear you're using it! I'd heard it was becoming a bit of an ornament? :grin:

After gathering dust for the better part of 18 months mine is now being used properly again and I couldn't agree more with your comments :thumb:

I think the ornament comment is spot on, too many cars. Not enough time

one by one the toys are getting put back in the box for winter, but if the weather stays like this one or two may stay out

DynoMike said:
Jonathon555 said:

Know exactly what you mean there, brutal is an apt description. Took mine to Goodwood last week where, despite having driven the car there, the first time I properly nailed it, the thing just felt massively quick. Awesome cars.

Don't get many chances to nail it but when the occasion arises I remember why i still love driving it after seven years of ownership.

They're a beast Jon, even my bog std one.

Drove it to/from York this week, the overtaking gaps are just so much easier in it. Gap? Hoof, done. It's just mental.

My turbo os the only car I own where you really have to watch speeds when overtaking, if overtaking three cars at a time it is easy to be going 100mph+ by the timw you are past the last one. Just fantastic fun cars.

MC

Agree.. my take it they are relentless too... you take off and think "that's quick... still getting quicker.. it's going to slow down in a sec... nope still pulling.. surely soon... still.pulling.hard"

Exactly the same feeling with mine, in fact it's great when you don't use them for a while as you have that feeling to look forward to all over again..

Mine had had a week off...sure made up for that today :D

Saw a fair few bits of Pork at Bedford Autodrome too, couple of nice GTS's...well, their 'other half's' were very nice anyway :puh:

:grin:

Unfortunately mine is about a month away from having a year off whilst it is in for 'upgrades'. Can't wait to get it back. I have had to drive much slower cars for a year. :sad:

MC

Not driven mine for over 15 months. Decided September 17 to retire her as the DD and she is now being rebuilt. Goodness knows what 650 BHP will feel like!

astonboy said:
Not driven mine for over 15 months. Decided September 17 to retire her as the DD and she is now being rebuilt. Goodness knows what 650 BHP will feel like!

It'll feel fabulous!

For a while, then you'll think 'I'm sure it used to be quicker' once you get used to it... Then it'll be another slide down the slippery modification slope!

ragpicker said:
astonboy said:

It'll feel fabulous!

For a while, then you'll think 'I'm sure it used to be quicker' once you get used to it... Then it'll be another slide down the slippery modification slope!

Yes you are probably right but I really have thrown the book at this one> At the moment its going onto Motec with a full race dash and real time monitoring back to my builders lap top. Goodness knows what all this means but he promises it will be quick?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back