Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.1 S vs 996 C4S

Over the years we've had a 993 cab, 996 cab, a couple of 996 Turbo Coupes, and currently have both a 997.1 C2S cab and 996 C4S. I sold my 993 to get the 996 Turbo, and although the turbo was an amazing car the cost of ownership compared to the 993 was massively higher and started to become frustrating. In hindsight I would have preferred to have kept my 993. Moving on to the 997 which dad has loned me for the past year, I love it and prefer this more than any of the other Porsche's we've had. The 996 C4S is a very close second, it is almost everything the Turbo was without the little voice in the back of ones mind waiting for the next expensive repair or service bill.

While i understand that 997 is the newer car and i guess it would be better tha 996 4S has something that I cant see on 997.
I was in similar dilema when i bought mine but went with the 996. Also because of the mileage and condition and work that had be done on her.

Just compare them!

Attachments

• img_20181019_080614_155.jpg
    img_20181019_080614_155.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 850
I don't find it surprising that an older model can be worth more than a newer model. Newer isn't always better and at some point older begins to have a 'classic" appeal.
I think what is surprising here is that some 996s really do seem to be increasing, and a desirable car with (what we're assuming is a gold plated engine rebuild) is relatively cheap. There are a lot of variables though!
I'm always wary of CAP / book / trade values for non mainstream cars. How many 996s get sold privately and don't feed into the guide data? How many of those that do, require significant expenditure to prepare for retail?

As a perhaps even less helpful aside, a friend of mine who's constantly hunting for bargains has flown to Scotland several times to view cars. I generalise here, but in his experience they're always miles away and rusty (usually being near the sea), both of which may to some degree explain why cars in Scotland tend to be attractively priced.

The 996 C4S has by far the nicest looking rear of all 911's in my opinion. The 4 wheel drive give it a stability and feel a rear wheel drive cannot match. The power is also just right for the roads . I had one. I now have a 996 Carrera and a 997.1 Turbo. I stand by my comments and I still look at them and if I found my old C4S it would be difficult not to sell the others to buy it!
The 996 C4S is one of the undisputed greats.

msaif996 said:
The 996 C4S has by far the nicest looking rear of all 911's in my opinion.

Talking about rear ends... I posted this pic earlier in another part of the forum but it seems appropriate to repost here :thumb:

Attachments

• attitude_187.jpg
    attitude_187.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 819
Kiwi said:
...The 996 C4S is a very close second, it is almost everything the Turbo was without the little voice in the back of ones mind waiting for the next expensive repair or service bill.

Nice one, that's not something you hear every day, with an M96 vs a Mezger! :D

Fascinating thread anyway...

The solution it seems is should the 4S engine need any major work, get it bored out to 3.8L!

That said, I can't remember the last time I found my M96 lacking in power, within the confines of UK roads.

Robertb said:
Nice one, that's not something you hear every day, with an M96 vs a Mezger! :D

Funnily it wasn't the engine (block) itself that worried me with the Turbo it seemed to be all the other little things that would need attention, rear spoiler failure (rams), blew off 2 bonded coolant pipes (quite spectacular), one was an engine out job, etc, etc. Still it was a cool car though :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back