Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DynoMike's suspension journey. LONG....

I don't come out of 'retirement' for much but that's one helluva right up Mike. Brilliant contribution to the forum :worship:

I suspect i'll be heading north to CC sooner rather than later :thumbs:

Now please excuse me while I retire again........ :bye: :thumb:

Manic996T wrote
Great write up Mike,

you summed it up well with the different strokes for different folks, most people struggle to articulate what they want and rather go with what they think they need in terms of suspension.

Hi Manic, I'm glad you have chimed in on this thread as you have a very good knowledge of suspension systems.

Perhaps you could add more about your set up? I know yours is radically different from mine at the front which is probably due to my disability; to expand, I have developed a method of driving which sees me brake in a straight line with very little trail braking, but pitching the car in hard while the front end is loaded. Call it dynamic rake if you will. The upshot of this is that the rear is relatively light at this point and starts to rotate on corner entry, which allows me to both hold my body firmly against the seat and crucially, grasp the steering wheel in the correct place to have full control of the car. With this method of driving I am very hard on the outer edges of the rear tyres but fairly gentle on the fronts.

From your geo settings it would seem that you are the opposite? Hence I run large rear camber settings and shallow front whereas you run something more akin to a GT3.

NXi20 wrote

I can't see how anyone can reasonably object to real customers of businesses praising them when they deliver good service and please them. At least we know that the glowing praise isn't because some magazine journo has managed to blag a freebie from an advertiser...

Nick, very well said Sir!! I only speak as I find as you know. I would far rather visit someone that comes personally recommended than be suckered in by a flashy advert or website. Funnily enough, I called Uber9s after a recommendation from Chris at Center Gravity and once again, received great service with the personal touch :thumb:

New996buyer wrote

I don't come out of 'retirement' for much but that's one helluva right up Mike. Brilliant contribution to the forum :worship:

I suspect i'll be heading north to CC sooner rather than later :thumbs:

Now please excuse me while I retire again........ :bye: :thumb:

Paul!!! You are alive! Thanks buddy, now hurry up and return man, this place is far too quiet without you :grin: :thumb:

I have been lurking on this Forum a while now, doing as much research as I can prior to taking the plunge, purchasing a 996tt. This thread has been fascinating and most informative so I just wanted to show my appreciation to the OP. Many thanks!

Ohlins thoughts and musings 1500 miles in.

It has been a few months since I posted regarding the Ohlins suspension upgrade on my 996T and as the car has just had it's first track outing, I thought I would update this old thread.

The car had remained largely standard for quite some time, but the suspension had been optimised to the point requiring something major to be changed in order to make any drastic changes to the driving dynamics. As the post above shows, I had thrown the proverbial kitchen sink at the standard suspension components to try to tailor the car for my needs. In the end I chose to bite the bullet and purchase Ohlins Road and Track units, though this could have easily been Bilstein PSS10s, as reading through the many posts on here by Ken at 9E had indicated both set ups were very good on a turbo.

I elected to buy my units from Mick Gardner Racing and have them fitted by Fearnsport. All my previous set ups had been completed by CG, I did ask them for an up to date quote but didn't hear back, hence ordering from MGR. My car had already had new top mounts and coffin arms all round, with new diagonal arms being fitted at CG earlier in the year, so all in all, the car was up together prior to having the dampers fitted.

The Ohlins have spring rates that are double those of the standard shocks, which was worrying me greatly regarding the ride quality. Time has proven this worry to be unfounded, the ride is getting better and better with every mile under their belt, to the point where it is a lot better than the stock set up of M030 everywhere, which is a most welcome addition. The settings I currently run are 16 out from full hard on both front and rear. Manic996T suggested that they get better with mileage, and he was right, so in the future I may well end up tightening the dampers up by two or three clicks.

So what do they perform like? On the road, the turn in and front end grip is really impressive and smile-inducing! I love it. The rear feels much better supported than the standard kit on the road, with the car staying flat through the corners with loads of grip, poise and control, it feels calmer to drive at speed. There is one downside and exception to this and that is on long, bumpy, high speed corners, where it feels as though the loaded outer wheel has some toe change going on. I may well end up with Porsche motorsport toe arms which can be shimmed to dial out bump steer, something which occurs due to the lower ride height. I need a really good look at the geometry to try to ascertain if this is what is actually happening, but it certainly feels slightly disconcerting under the above conditions.

On track? I was really looking forward to running these babies on a track day, an opportunity I took last Friday at Goodwood. The fronts were stiffened to 6 out from full hard, as were the rears for the first session, but it became very apparent that the rears were too hard for Goodwood's long and fast corners; the rear end was very loose on corner entry. In fact, it was scary, so I immediately softened the rears to 9 from 6. This improved matters but didn't fully eradicate the trait, which primarily showed itself going into 'No Name', a very fast entry right hander, and I do mean fast, the speedo showing 138 on the one glance I stole , and it felt like it too.... Gulp.:eek: Once settled in to a corner the car felt very nice indeed with good grip and feel. One area which was possibly weaker than the stock suspension was front end grip under braking, which was probably due to the less aggressive weight transfer, which meant that the rate of retardation didn't seem as good as standard. However, I was lapping considerably quicker than the last time I visited this fabulous circuit, so this could have been why.

Over all I think that the Ohlins are a good upgrade over standard. The road settings make for a much more dynamic driving experience, with the bonus that the comfort levels are very impressive too. On track I feel that more experimentation is needed, not to mention that the car is so quick around a lap now that it requires Cup2 tyres to compliment the new suspension. If anyone likes to use their cars for occasional track use as well as on the road, this suspension kit is a no-brainer. I generally do one, maybe two trackways a year and would still rate the suspension upgrade as worthwhile, particularly if the standard units have covered 60k miles or more.

With Michelin Cup2s fitted, this car will be a serious proposition to drive, both on track and on the road. The 996 platform never ceases to amaze me, well done Porsche for designing a peach of a car, one which can now run with a 991 GT3RS on a fast track and not disgrace itself, which I find incredible. :worship:

Great on so many levels Mike. Fantastic contribution as always.

And wholly agree about the eulogising about the '6 platform. :thumbs:

Very comprehensive review Mike. Took me right back to the days of reading articles in Car & Car conversions :thumb:

New997buyer said:
Great on so many levels Mike. Fantastic contribution as always.

And wholly agree about the eulogising about the '6 platform. :thumbs:

Thanks Paul, the 996 is an absolute gem of a car to drive, I love mine The addition of modern suspension has modernised the feel considerably, giving a true 'sportscar' experience when driving, with tons of feedback. :cloud9:

ragpicker said:
Superb update old bean! I really fancy some Ohlins now!

Sounds like you were going at a fair lick around that track, good to hear the 996 was keeping the more modern stuff honest :thumb:

Do it Rags! The old bus was quite a revelation at Goodwood, drawing compliments from a 991.2 GT3 driver amongst others who called it a rocketship, mainly because it could maintain a good pace around the corners. :thumbs:

With the level of power yours has these days, I think it would really benefit from them too :)

Chief said:
Very comprehensive review Mike. Took me right back to the days of reading articles in Car & Car conversions :thumb:

Cheers Chief! CCC was an excellent publication, much better than 'Lax Power' or whatever they sell these days :roll:

The future seems to be the PS4 which I've had good reports on & I will be trying out next.

Nick

PS4s is were it's at for a road tyre the best I've used in a long time the 's" is important

Jon

Ps
Nice write up Mike, looking forward to seeing the improvement first hand next year on track. :thumb:

Cunno said:
NXI20 said:
The future seems to be the PS4 which I've had good reports on & I will be trying out next.

Nick

PS4s is were it's at for a road tyre the best I've used in a long time the 's" is important

Jon

I know Jon - typo on my part ;)

I've got the 4Ss on a set of rims now & they are very impressive on the road (as long as you don't clip a big flint block on the inside of a corner :floor:)

Not tried them on track as I have 4 sets of other more focused alternatives for that :D

NXI20 said:
Cunno said:
NXI20 said:

Nick

Jon

I've got the 4Ss on a set of rims now & they are very impressive on the road (as long as you don't clip a big flint block on the inside of a corner :floor:)

Not tried them on track as I have 4 sets of other more focused alternatives for that :D

Yes good times and memories, worth devaluing the cars with the extra miles :grin: we have to do it again and drag Mike with us :thumb:

NXI20 said:
Cunno said:
NXI20 said:

Nick

Jon

Yes good times and memories, worth devaluing the cars with the extra miles :grin: we have to do it again and drag Mike with us :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevemias
Back