Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 brake upgrades

uk996 said:
Where's the best place to buy them from?
OPC?
design 911 are selling them for £767 each. They've got a 10% promo on at the moment which is handy. Some of the older posts I've come across seem to indicate they were originally sold for £600 the PAIR by the OPC. Seems they've upped the markup :-(

Best place to buy what?
MC

GT3 6 pot calipers

uk996 said:
GT3 6 pot calipers

I would go with OPC. I have heard that prices have increased massively over the last few years though so brace yourself. With decent fluid / disks / pads and cooling ducts you have to be going pretty mad to run out of brakes. My standard brakes on the turbo were able to do 13 back-to-back emergency stops from 70mph with no increase in braking distance. When I changed to 6 piston calipers I got slight fade on the front brakes in the last couple of stops from the pads getting hot and not being as good as the pads I had on the original 4 pots. Line pressure was just as high so fluid was fine, but the rear brakes were doing more of the work from looking at relative wheel speeds and variations in line pressure from the operation of the ABS. The 6 piston ones do look the business though :)

MC

Perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way. I haven't had my 996t long. The brakes OE brakes appear to be in good condition. What I'm looking for is more initial response from the brakes, to me they feel wooden and unresponsive. However they do seem to wake up once warmed up and is ok at faster speeds.

The car had been driven by 9e and another independent Porsche tech, they both said it's normal.

To me it really doesn't inspire confidence. With my other cars, changing the callipers and the mc if necessary always resulted in better brakes that gave better feedback and modulation, I could feel that I could consistently slow down at the rate I wanted with confidence, with the 996, I haven't.

I'm not actually too bothered whether the brakes are 4 or 6 pot. I want them to feel more responsive. What do you think?

On a related subject, I seem to remember someone saying the 911 would benefit from improving the rear brakes more, as there is significantly more weight concentrated at the rear.

996 brakes need more pedal effort than typical modern road cars, once you get used to this they are fine.

Nobody has mentioned it but another option might be to change the feel would be to increase the servo assistance. Anyone tried it?

I think I read somewhere that the 997 MC is a good upgrade for brake feel on 996's.

Can confirm that Martin's GT3 m/c mode is a great thing and have fitted one to the C4 today, pedal now feels nice and progressive and not as though you are stamping on a block of concrete! :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back