Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 brake upgrades

I was thinking more of the brackets...but yes I could do that, the hardest part is holding them in a jig.

Dammit said:
Worth spending a tenner at your local OPC before laying out thousands?

37994707266_5e4b73b484_b.jpg

Noob question - what are those please?

Doesn't someone on here use larger 997 c2s front disks with no other mods!?

Interesting but expensive thread on brake upgrades.

I have a 996 TT which is daily driven on the back roads between Peterborough and Derby. It is now nearly due new discs and pads all-round so I've been looking at the options.

Given I haven't the budget for the Giro or the 6 pots, the 350mm 997 discs looks like a reasonable cost upgrade.

My main question, is the upgrade to the 350mm discs from my 330mm ones worth it and will I feel a difference?

Second question, does anyone have the dimensions to get the spacers made, I have access to tooling to make them myself?

'll be looking at fitting some stainless braided pipes, tidying up the callipers and fitting up-rated pads too.

Thanks

:thumb:

Cheers Rdodger,

I should have been more detailed, what are the bolt centres and sizes.

I use my car daily so would have to make them up prior to doing the swap.

Bigger diameter discs would require different calipers and/or mountings so that the pads sit on the swept area of the discs.

If, as I suspect, the discs have a larger swept area, they will require larger calipers and pads.

Maldern,

Thanks for your comments, Kits are available such as this one,

http://www.9products.com/product/4040/brake-caliper-spacer-front

which allow you to fit 350mm diamater rotors with the existing callipers and pads. There is a theoretical increase in available braking force due to the increased leverage.

What I'd like to know is, is it worth it?

I'm changing discs now anyway and it isn't much more for the 350mm dia over the 330mm, and the spacers are easy to fabricate.

Will you not get an unswept area of the disc face at the centre or are the 350 discs designed for the 996 pad area? If the same depth pads are used on the 997 350 discs as the 996 330 discs then it should be fine. Or maybe you are supposed to use a different pad?Yes you would notice the difference going to the bigger disc and seems a cheap and easy upgrade: I would check with the manufacturer of the spacers about any unswept area/pad size choice. Unswept areas not the end of the world but would annoy some people

Thread resurrection !

Anyone get any further with creating a reliable and repeatable process (at a decent cost) for using Cayenne/Audi calipers for our 996/996tt?

I have :)

You can see them here.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=125503&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=220

Also done spacers for the rear to use 350mm rear disks with 996 turbo rear calipers and the required pipe to run the 27mm master cylinder. I will do a seperate thread on it with the required sums to show how the balance is affected at some point.
Plenty of details on that thread but it is a but spread out with other stuff.

This is for a 996, not turbo,C4S or GT3/2. I would just run the front 6 piston 996.2 GT3 calipers on those. As I do on my 996 turbo.

MC

Where's the best place to buy them from?
OPC?
design 911 are selling them for £767 each. They've got a 10% promo on at the moment which is handy. Some of the older posts I've come across seem to indicate they were originally sold for £600 the PAIR by the OPC. Seems they've upped the markup :-(

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back