Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What's happened to brake dust?

Johnd52

Just been cleaning the car after a 2500 mile round trip and realised that the front wheels are relatively clean and not coated with brake dust. The brakes are OEM and it got me thinking - are the pads just good in this respect? Is the disk v pad wear balance now such that the pads just don't shed material like they used to...?

Just curious.

:floor: :floor: PCCB maybe :grin: :thumb:

You can have some of mine......

There's a lot of influencing factors like surface finish of wheels, condition of the drilled holes in your discs, speed at which you're travelling when braking, weather conditions, etc.

Is this the start of Wimbledon kicking in "chalk dust - anyone can see that it was chalk dust"

its my age. :)

I've noticed the same on my 981, virtually no brake dust even after some spirited runs :dont know:

I often clean with the holes in my discs with brake cleaner. It helps. :thumb:

If the disc vent holes are clear then the dust is sucked out and exits mainly on the outer edges of the disc which when driven will tend to blow away as we are talking very small amounts here.

If not the dust collects on and around the pad which tends to push it towards the wheel .

Im sure way back there used to be covers you put inside the wheel to stop this on any car :dont know:

Brake pad material is also far better these days than it used to be .

Thats my understanding of it anyways .

What Phil says. ^^^^. PCCBs?

I still get plenty, even with a fully renewed braking system. Granted my tyre dressing doesn't help but still.

I seem to get much more on the 987 than I did on the 993 ....... and I am usually light on the breaks and mostly use engine breaking where I can ...... and the design of the wheel I have on the 987 is a bit of a b'stard to clean ...... :(

madalaa said:
I seem to get much more on the 987 than I did on the 993 ....... and I am usually light on the breaks and mostly use engine breaking where I can ...... and the design of the wheel I have on the 987 is a bit of a b'stard to clean ...... :(

yes, you are not known for excessive use of the middle pedal - quite the opposite!!! How about getting the wheels done in black? Our old Boxster used to produce a fair bit of dust too, but the current one much less :dont know:

I think ive got it!! :eek: Seem to spend most of my time cleaning the wheels!

I think ive got it!! :eek: Seem to spend most of my time cleaning the wheels!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back