Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil filling, that old chesnut...

Robertb

Yas Marina
My 4S has used a bit of oil (showing one segment below the top arrow) and I would like to top it up.

But when its been serviced, the oil level on the display is right at the top in the morning 'cold' reading (i.e. one segment above the top arrow). So it now has two segments 'empty', i.e requiring approx 0.4L to fill up completely or 0.2L to get back to the top arrow. Should I fill right to the top of the display, or enough to get back to the top arrow?

Supplementary question... do I need to get the exact same oil, or will the same grade suffice?

I would check the dipstick first - then refill with the same oil using the dipstick to gauge the level. Mobile 1 0W40 is the stuff that is used by my indie and i think OPC as well. (check what was put in at your last service)

Cheers... so you're saying fill to the top marker on the dipstick rather than worry about the dash gauge?

The indy uses Mobil 3000 on their 'menu' plan... cheapskates! I will buy some 10w 50 Millers next time as that seems to be what all the cool kids use for their 3.6s.

Probably makes no difference though given that I generally drive it like Miss Daisy for less than 2k miles total a year.

Thats what i would do - same oil and fill it to the max line on the dipstick.....

....dipsticks seem to have worked correctly for the last 100 years so why change now!

The dash gauge is a useful check but the dipstick is dead accurate (as long as you're on level ground of course)

After experiencing smoky startups at a track day, and reading advise from several "experts" this side of the pond, I now keep my level in the middle range between the high mark and low mark. No more smoking. Also remember overfill is sometimes more damaging than low levels.

I'd be interested in Baz's recommendations on this.

Also, don't be precious about mixing oils of different types and viscosities. When you do this, the oils mix and the properties become the average of the two different oils' ratings and properties. i.e. there is no technical reason not to mix oils.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back