Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Airbox modification to motorsound

Mark w

Hi all, I obtained a second hand airbox cover to experiment with as I've seen lots of various opinions on whether a motorsound airbox actually makes much difference (sound wise that is!) so rather than destroy my existing one and regret it today I had a go at replicating the holes in the side (dimensions of which were given by a nice guy on rennlist who has a geniune one)

now before anyone says it, yes I could have gone to the effort of making a nice steel template drilling jig but I thought i'd do it a slighter different way as I wanted to trial it quickly.

So, I did a quick drawing of both sets of holes (one area is larger than the other) and printed the on tracing paper to use as a template, stuck the templates to airbox, centre mark the holes in the airbox (i used a trepan drill point for this) then used a trepan drill (with the aim to eliminate the need to de-burr after) to drill each hole.

it worked quite well and in all took about 40 mins. this weekend I will fit it to see what the end result is IF ANY!.

some pictures below help show the process. Ill be back soon with an update

Mark

Attachments

• img_8380_193.jpg
    img_8380_193.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 4,203
  • img_8379_194.jpg
    img_8379_194.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 4,203
  • img_8378_212.jpg
    img_8378_212.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 4,203
  • img_8377_135.jpg
    img_8377_135.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 4,203
  • img_8376_105.jpg
    img_8376_105.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 4,203
  • img_8374_149.jpg
    img_8374_149.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 4,203
  • img_8373_115.jpg
    img_8373_115.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 4,203
  • img_8372_367.jpg
    img_8372_367.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 4,203
But you don;t get the shiny metal edges to the intake which both cool the air (for better induction) and improve airflow :dont know:

Joking but they do look nice when you open the engine bay :wink:

Haha

I know what you mean!

If I can notice the difference in sound then I will probably get the plastic intake chrome plated (metalized plastic that is!) so I can admire each time I open the engine lid

Nice work...!

Mark w said:
Ill be back soon with an update
Interested in your feedback! :)

Also interested in your thoughts/feedback. I've got one of the shiny covers sat on a shelf unused because having a rear wing I elected for the "horn" attachment to bring cool air direct from the louvres in the wing.

Surely, if holes in the air box are a benefit, more holes are more benefit? Then eventually no cover is better than a cover? (Ie, one big hole)

yes I think you are correct as I have seen airbox covers for sale that are little more than a frame (see attached picture), however this means every time you open the engine lid you are confronted with the view of your air filter. I was just trying to keep it look like it would with the factory option but maybe I will open the holes up or even cut the rectangular section of each aperture out to see a better result.

Attachments

• filter_181.jpg
    filter_181.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 4,038
If you keep the clutch vent pipe it will become useless with a fully open airbox. The only benefit of a motorsound airbox is in the description (sound)
I'm not a fan of snorkels either.
I got rid of the clutch vent pipe, covered the vent with brass wire mess and plugged the airbox hole with the tiptronic plug. I run a motorsound airbox and I nearly jumped out of my skin with the glorious intake roar on wot over 4k rpm.

Endoman said:
........with the glorious intake roar on wot over 4k rpm.
^^^that.
I have a motorsound airbox available for purchase. Hardly used. £80. pm me.

Well I had a good drive to France a few weekends ago, Conclusion was that it really didn't make much difference even when i went through a long tunnel I never noticed a difference in the roar, so I assume like Endoman says i need to get rid of the clutch vent pipe plugged into the airbox.
I'll try this soon and post back on results.

Endoman said:
If you keep the clutch vent pipe it will become useless with a fully open airbox. The only benefit of a motorsound airbox is in the description (sound)
I'm not a fan of snorkels either.
I got rid of the clutch vent pipe, covered the vent with brass wire mess and plugged the airbox hole with the tiptronic plug. I run a motorsound airbox and I nearly jumped out of my skin with the glorious intake roar on wot over 4k rpm.

Can I ask what the vent pipe does? Any issue with removing it?
If you have any pictures it would be helpful.

My airbox has the hole modification so I can't comment on sound before or after but I would be interested to investigate if the vent pipe is still active.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back