Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A new 997 problem perhaps?

corriepups said:
Is it a tiptronic? If so sounds like your transmission coolant circuit is opening.
Either disc valve or control unit faulty. Both easy fix

Yes corriepups. It's a tiptronic, I'll look into this. Would it affect the temperature then or just the sensor?

It is the actual coolant temp drops when the disc valve opens to circulate coolant to tranny oil cooler.
The control unit is the probable cause. From under the car its a 2 min job to change. 2 vacuum hoses and electrical connector. From memory part less that £30

I had this issue on a different car I opened. It was the thermostat. Car not moving everything looks normal, drive at speed for a while and it drops down to zero. I'll bet water thermostat.

and if you haven yet got a low temp thermostat fitted, this is an ideal time to fit one as if even that doesn't cure your problem, you've helped to alleviate a potentially much bigger problem!

Ok. So the issue has finally been resolved. A good few hours of expert investigation turned up a severed wire feeding the coolant temp sensor. Very happy not to have that blinking red annoyance in my face ever day

Attachments

• 721a6cd8_19dc_4f66_b946_54d57a157b16_199.jpeg
    721a6cd8_19dc_4f66_b946_54d57a157b16_199.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3,161
Good to get sorted.
Did you got for be the low temp thermostat?

For some reason i missed this post .. :oops:

Just on the off chance this comes back .. which i doubt as you have found a fault but ..

On Tiptronics there is a heat exchanger .. if the electric valve fails then this is permanently open .. what happens is the car sees the oil temp being higher than the coolant temp due to pretty much a radiator cooling it , it thinks there is a fault with the temp sensor so you loose the temp gauge and the red light comes on .

This often resets when cold .

valve is the other side of box in your picture.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back