Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New 997 Carrera 4 Owner - A few questions

resigner said:
Listen to Phil about the oil. I'm on 77k miles now and into Millers, not Mobil 1, not in 0w40!!!!!!

How many miles does your car have?

agreed but I must correct myself as I seemed to have merged advise thats what happens when Peroni is too close :grin:
millers 5w40 or if over 70k miles millers 10w50. :thumb: :thumb:

Hamster75 said:
Maybe a daft question, but I had all of my front hoses & the ally junction replaced under opc warranty a little while ago.

Ive heard the corrode from road salts & water spraying onto the poorly made collars from the front wheels in about 5-6 years, would it be wise to coat them in waxoyle or similar now they're new again, anyone know.

Or would this affect the rubber hoses life span ?

Mate, have a look at ACF50 its easier to use much less messy than waxoyle and give everything except brakes a really good coating

http://www.acf-50.co.uk/acf-50.htm

Hamster75 said:
Maybe a daft question, but I had all of my front hoses & the ally junction replaced under opc warranty a little while ago.

Ive heard the corrode from road salts & water spraying onto the poorly made collars from the front wheels in about 5-6 years, would it be wise to coat them in waxoyle or similar now they're new again, anyone know.

Or would this affect the rubber hoses life span ?

I bury them in waxoil ... on a Major service or if replacing .

You need to attack them from several different angles to get a good covering so a ramp helps a lot .

They do suffer in our country due to the salt and the shear amount of water that gets thrown at them .

What ever you cover them with ... Just cover them with something :D

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly- whats the consensus on using waxoyl? I have access to a vehicle lift (I had the placcy undertrays off a week after I purchased and all looked ok)
Is it worth taking them off and giving everything a liberal coating (I'm also a Mini forum member- this is how we roll!)
grateful to hear your thoughts...

I use Waxoil at work .. but then its what im told to use .. guys here prefer ACF50 .. i actually have a can of this i use for my bike .

Personnely id say use what the forum guys say as i belive it lasts longer .

Anything you spray will last longer .. except plastic ;) so spray away !

Bear in mind .. 30 years ago we used to spray old engine oil under the car .. anything you use will help .

yes .. remove all undertrays .

brownspeed said:
Sorry to hijack the thread slightly- whats the consensus on using waxoyl? I have access to a vehicle lift (I had the placcy undertrays off a week after I purchased and all looked ok)
Is it worth taking them off and giving everything a liberal coating (I'm also a Mini forum member- this is how we roll!)
grateful to hear your thoughts...

As deMort says anythings better than nothing , if you like Waxoyle then use it but if guys have no access to a ramp or no interest in getting covered in waxoyle then ACF-50 is the thing to use. :thumb:

So this all went as planned, ended up getting most of the work done :grin:

Job 1

Waterpump was switched out rather immediately given the recommendation and also a LTT fitted

Replaced all the coil packs, as 3/4 of them were split when the spark plugs were changed.

The rusting exhaust bolts were all done at the same time

Job 2
The window also wasn't dropping fully (because of a past regulator replacement) and the garage didn't remove the stop, so I did this

Job 3

There was play in the inner tie rods, so I had the track rods changed at the same time and also replaced the upper mounts (as the rubbers were perishing). All followed up by a 4 wheel laser alignment.

The car has never felt better.

It seems like a lot of work, but most components were all very reasonable. Tie rods/track rods were about £20-25 each, water pump £150, top mounts about £75 each from porsche, Beru coils were £22 each, then a few odd bits like new nuts, bump stops e.t.c

So about £650 in parts, then labour

Sounds like a very reasonable price for some decent maintenance jobs ticked off the list :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back