Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A few niggles - Thoughts?

v6matt

So, 1 week into ownership and my OCD is in full swing :lol:

Thoughts on the below ?

1) Squeaky rear spoiler when manually raising. I was just going to buy some 'dry' PTFE 3-in-1 spray and spray the areas that move. Thinking the dry type to avoid it collecting lots of dirt like you normally do with traditional sprays.

2) The wing mirror glass doesn't move smoothly, it is almost a juddery movement so it looks like this needs some attention. How do I get at the mechanism/what do I spray?

3) There is a really irritating rattle from what appears to be the top left speaker on the dash, initially I thought it was static but it makes the noise even with the radio off. Is this a known issue? What is the cure?

Other than these bits, absolutely loving this car. What a blast !

The rear spoiler can be sorted with some graphite lubricant. I had the same issue on my gen 2 and OPC sorted it for me.
Mirror I can't help with
The find the rattle game is amazing fun. It moves around on you as you narrow down the source. I thought the speaker rattled also, only to find it was the homelink blanking button in the overhead light cluster :dont know:
Good luck with items 2 and 3

FZP said:
The rear spoiler can be sorted with some graphite lubricant. I had the same issue on my gen 2 and OPC sorted it for me.
Mirror I can't help with
The find the rattle game is amazing fun. It moves around on you as you narrow down the source. I thought the speaker rattled also, only to find it was the homelink blanking button in the overhead light cluster :dont know:
Good luck with items 2 and 3

Hmm thanks, in terms of the rattle I went straight to the homelink after seeing those lose flimsy covers but alas not. Doesnt seem to be anything I can compress to stop the vibration....yet

My mirror needed a new motor to sort it. You could pull off the glass and try to sort it.

Ill just post what i think so not doubting what anyone else might say ..

1 / The ram each side is dirty , clean it .. lub might help but Porsche instructions are to clean it .

2 / You cant lub anything .. its x2 small motors on a plastic arm with teeth on it , replacement i would have thought but once the mirror is set you dont tend to move them again.

3 / There are several places that can cause noises .. speakers and not just the cover , instrument cluster and surround , panels each side of the speakers .. bit of a garage job really .

With the memory function, the mirror drops whenever I select reverse. That made the judder more annoying. Eventually the motor wouldn't tip down.

My dash speaker buzz was due to the foam compressing under the grill, the grill can be popped off from the middle of the dash and then the trailing edge Just remove it and see if it clears - mine did so just felted the grill. Easy enough if that is what is causing it. If not then could be the air vent!!

FZP said:
The find the rattle game is amazing fun. It moves around on you as you narrow down the source. I thought the speaker rattled also, only to find it was the homelink blanking button in the overhead light cluster

I had the same bundle of fun and hours of entertainment playing hide and seek with rattles! To be fair, it was after ripping out most of the interior to replace all the speakers, the source of the rattle is quite often nowhere near where you think it's coming from :frustrated: I did have a rattle from one of the dash tweeters, this was because the Focal units I replaced the Bose ones with wasn't quite seated properly! Best way I found to locate rattles was to have a mate in the car with a narrow cone of cardboard to listen for the source and prodding buttons, panels and anything that might rattle or buzz!!

when you spot another 911 driver and you see the expression on their face its natural to assume ah they are driving a 911 they are consertrating and foccused but no the truth is they are listening hard for the location of yet another bloody rattle. I removed virtually the whole of my interior twice on the hunt for a rattle I even had my tech use his borescope in gaps and between the inner and outer metal panels (we did remove 3 rivet heads from the rear arch space between panels )but that wasnt the cause , finally found a loose cable running along the inside of the panel where the high level brake lights fitted. that was one , then a tip gear lever spring was another , a seat belt housing loose was another :grin: :thumb:

v6matt said:
So, 1 week into ownership and my OCD is in full swing :lol:

Thoughts on the below ?

1) Squeaky rear spoiler when manually raising. I was just going to buy some 'dry' PTFE 3-in-1 spray and spray the areas that move. Thinking the dry type to avoid it collecting lots of dirt like you normally do with traditional sprays.

Other than these bits, absolutely loving this car. What a blast !

I used this DIY maintenance procedure from Rennlist to cure the noise on my spoiler..

https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsche-997-how-to-service-rear-spoiler-384158

..a bit fiddly but worked a treat. You could just try and clean the struts once the spoiler is lifted first to see if that helps..and then lubricate them slightly if that doesn't work even though Porsche says not to!

Ok, so an update on this

1) Wing Mirror - This has fixed itself, mine auto dips when reversing and so it was rather frustrating. It must have not been reversed in a while, and my daily London parking has brought it back to smooth bliss

2) Rear spoiler still squeaks but following the guide, I am going to buy some dry PTFE spray and put into the little hole. That will reduce the chance of it picking up grit but also do the job

3) The rattle is still being investigated!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back