Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

muffler bypass vs MOT

cvega said:
kingston said:
ive run straight out from Cat in mine before (had a loop to mimic the route through the back boxes though).

Measured 105dB outside at track testing distance/conditions.

On the road it sounds awesome with pops/bangs/crackles etc, but it was robbed of some low down torque which was noticeable. Ended up asking Top Gear or one of them to make me an After Hours style exhaust which gave me back the torque and some pops.

Any pictures of that ?

Ill try and find the pictures but im not sure where they are now. HEres a video for comparison;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOCPwHdS-5E&t=86s

Sorry cvega,nothing personal, I was just being grumpy as I think you're about to waste your money. The video Szymon posted just doesn't give the real volume of those delete pipe things.

They're stupidly loud, you lose the flat 6 noise at anything but banzai revs and on the overrun they sound like that noise you get when you pull the plug out of a bath or sink. You know that gurgly noise. And it sounds like a 1.6L Ford Sierra with a cherry bomb on it at tickover. :grin:

They're just so god damn awful I'm truly baffled to the point of laughter, that anyone can think it sounds good.

No offence but save your money. Unless you've heard a car in person and definitely think you like the noise still.
They will sound a bit better on a 3.6 as everything does, but on a 3.4 they're just horrendous.
I don't know what you have by the way. Hopefully not a 3.4.

Like I say though, it highlights one man's symphony is another man's wet fart.
You pays your money, you takes your choice. Like I say, no offence.
:wink:

And I hope Szymon is joking about putting mufflers back on his, as he's been raving about these delete pipes more than anyone on here. So I wouldn't expect such a legendary U-turn. :grin:

ETA - I see you have a 3.6. Tiny saving grace, glimmer of hope, etc etc. :D

haha I'm torn, I remember having a stupidly loud exhaust on my MR2 turbo and i managed to live with it for a week. I think it was a Blitz Nur spec.

Interestingly, the cost of the whole thing is similar, as you ideally need to remap the car with bypasses not to loose power.

Ha, yep been there, done it. As you get older you realise there's "Sound" and then there's "noise". :wink:

I bought a huge exhaust for my MR2 Turbo back in the day, an HKS Hyper Medallion or some bonkers named thing like that. It was actually the same volume as stock when I started it up . Oh the disappointment on my little face. :grin:

It's all so subjective, so best to listen to a car in person but that's not always possible. :thumb:

hehe yep I went from the Blitz NUR spec to a HKS Silent HiPower something. Mad names indeed but exaust was so much more refined...

Attachments

• 273169_1935458342387_1874935_o_918.jpg
    273169_1935458342387_1874935_o_918.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 2,526
I wouldn't go straight through - read comments on Rennlust that it kills low torque.

If you want noise (nice noise!), get some decent back boxes, 200 cell x cats and a helmholtz bypass with a BMC filter.

cvega said:
hehe yep I went from the Blitz NUR spec to a HKS Silent HiPower something. Mad names indeed but exaust was so much more refined...

Nice! 1992, so must have been a very early Rev3 or a Rev2 with Rev3 lights.
Mine was a Rev2. I never did get around to fitting the later lights though.
Quick cars back in the day and nobody really knew what they were when the import scene first kicked off. :thumb:

Anyway sorry for the hijack. :wink:

haha no worries, was a rev2 with rev3 lights, rev3 forged engine etc etc.. loved it but it had to go!

I went with Top Gear 200 cell crossover cats and the valved sports boxes.
Just had it fitted last week but really pleased with the sound options.
Valves closed it sounds like a PSE and valves open it sounds angry and noisy bordering on anti social in confined spaces. But at 5000 revs it really screams it's addictive.

No loss of torque and maybe it's just me but the car feels more responsive and a bit quicker than before.

Excellent quality and service from Top Gear also.

:D :D :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back