Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996TT - Whining noise

matthow

Hi all,

Long time lurker - requires some of your knowledge if possible
I have uploaded a video (if this uploads) as my TT is making a whining noise and i wondered if any of you clever chaps had any ideas on what it might be?

Thanks

https://vimeo.com/294838528

I think i would start with removeing the drive belt then seeing if the noise was still there .

To be honest its not a noise ive herd before .

Also your battery indicator light cuts out when you rev it .. has it always done this or only since the noise started .

As a guess atm ill go with alternator bearings .

A sound clip near the engine or where ever you think the noise is louder would also help .

Thanks DeMort for your response - very much appreciated as always.

I am useless when it comes to anything mechanical - Fear of messing it up - thus removing the drive belt frightens the life out of me.

When i reviewed the video i noticed that as well - with regard the flickering light but only just noticed it - just been to check again this only shows when videoing when looking at it normally it does not flicker at all

I just reviewed my receipts and i had a new alternator added in 2015 and have only probably achieved 3k miles since then and yes she is a total garage queen.

Not totally sure where its coming from but i will try again tomorrow to see if i can here anything further

Update ...

So this seems to be related to the air-conditioning as if i turn this off and reduce the manual fan to nothing then the noise goes completely...

Thus either i have a leak in the air con system or compressor is going or ....

I note i had near side condensor changed last year

Any other ideas most welcome ... or any ideas how to determine where the issue is? or what to do to solve?

Thanks again

Stuff me i wouldnt have associated it with low a/c gass and im well used to the noises this makes !!

Sorry .. yes .. have the car running a/c on temp at 19 and fan speed 3.

Wait till the noise starts on idle then turn off the a/c only and give it 30 seconds .. if the noise stops then its low a/c gass and you have a leak somewere .. condensor or rear pipe connections being the most obvious .

It could also be the compressor but it should be much louder if you open the boot and listen near it .

If the noise doesnt stop then possibly the fan motor bearings .

Either way its a bit of a strange noise but then its easier if i actually sit in a car as thats how i normally work :p

I think mine is also making the same noise as yours - PPI I had done found a leaky aircon pipe at the back and said the compressor was noisy because of the leak.

It is on my list of jobs - I'm going to see if its possible to repair using some epoxy first rather than forking out for a whole new pipe (I think the pipe might also be on backorder from Germany currently).

Just to clarify .. always regass the a/c system first before just jumping to its the compressor .. they do make some strange noises when low on gass .. although the Op,s one is not one i would have associated with low a/c gass.

That noise is pretty much the same noise that I was getting before I got my A/C re-gassed a week ago. Mine is now silent and working well.

Noise reminds me a little of KITT in Knight Rider :thumbs:

Oddly enough when I heard it I was going to say aircon compressor before I read the rest of the thread!

The compressors make that noise when the gas is a bit low.

Get the system checked for leaks and regassed, I suspect it will largely go away.

That said, mine does it a bit still... a new compressor may be required.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back