Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

High Speed vibration

Shurv

I get a pretty big vibration at speeds over 130mph, in Germany of course, that feels is coming from the rear of the car. I'm sure it isn't wheel balance, and the suspension has had the all clear from centre gravity. Might it be a sign that the engine mounts are on their way out? There is no sag from them but they are the original 2002 79k miles ones. Any ideas?.

I had a similar thing and it turned out to be wheel imbalance but it was at 90mph. What makes you think it's not wheel imbalance?

it could be a wheel slightly buckled, hit any potholes recently? get them balanced again just to be sure. Balancing doesn't last forever... especially on our roads as is. Cheap fix possibly too.

I will fit my winter wheels next week when I have a week off, and then see if it still vibrates. If it doesn't I'll get the rims checked out. The rear tyres are pretty much gone, so I will replace the whole set over the winter in case I have a tyre causing the problem (the fronts are approaching 3mm anyway). It does point to wheels or tyres doesn't it?

Wheel vibration would appear at 70 ish mph initially I'd have thought.

I did have some Powerflex gearbox mounts in recently, and over 100 leptons there was vibration. I took them out and it disappeared. On that basis maybe gearbox rubber mount needs looking at? The engine and gearbox assembly are only mounted in 3 locations, and the gearbox mount does the end with the driveshafts etc.....

Good luck

Wheel vibration can appear at any speed. Different levels of imbalance become apparent at different speeds.

My 996 felt ok in UK but vibration was at 140 up on autobahn. That was wheel balance.

Wheel vibration can appear at any speed. Different levels of imbalance become apparent at different speeds.

Ah ok. Makes sense. I don't go fast enough I reckon!

Ill just add .. rear wheel imbalence .. common cause of vibrations and always the first place to start .. ask for fine balence if your local garage does it .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back