Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Upgrading C4S. 996 x50 and 997 Turbo Prices are so close?

umirza85

Monza
I'm looking to get out of my 996 C4S and into a Turbo.

Looking at the prices it looks as though an x50 996 and a 997 Turbo (around 06/07) are similarly priced at around £50k or so (Manual/coupe).

The main thing that bugged me having driven around in both is the exhaust sound, but from my research it seems there are a few good aftermarket options.

Are there any major reasons to go either x50 or 997? I've read a lot of the posts comparing and it seems to boil down to looks. Also I'm seeing some x50's (on PH or AT) around 35ish.... is that the normal price or is something up with these cars?

Option wise there isnt much to choose from in the x50, im looking at silver/black with black interior. Same colours for the 997 but would like the sports chrono option to give an idea of what I've been searching for.

996 Turbo owners say they prefer their cars looks over the 997 Turbo. :grin:

996 Turbos and 997 Turbos both offer superb value for money but if your budget stretches to the later car it really is worth that bit extra.

I've had good examples of both and the 6 year period of evolution between the two is really noticeable.

Price wise, the 996T and especially the X50 and S models soared in 2015/16 and some even crossed over with the 997.1T but they have now come back to more sensible levels.

Hi, am surprised 996 and 997 turbos are similar prices I always thought they were about £10K apart like mileage/ manual gearbox.

You could get into a 70K 997TT for £50K a similar mileage 996TT would be £35-£40K wouldn't it.

I went 996C4S to 997 Turbo -I tried the 996 Turbo but preferred the refinedness of the 997 - also if I'd gone 996T the interior is just the same as the 996C4S and dare I say a little dated.

As T8 says there is a noticeable level of evolution.

Both Turbos are uber fast - almost to quick.

Obvious both great cars - but the move your contemplating I'd say go 997T - you'll notice a bit more difference for your extra buck.

T8 said:
996 Turbo owners say they prefer their cars looks over the 997 Turbo. :grin:

996 Turbos and 997 Turbos both offer superb value for money but if your budget stretches to the later car it really is worth that bit extra.

I've had good examples of both and the 6 year period of evolution between the two is really noticeable.

Price wise, the 996T and especially the X50 and S models soared in 2015/16 and some even crossed over with the 997.1T but they have now come back to more sensible levels.

To be honest I think I prefer the look of the 996 turbo also. I actually have already stretched my budget to around £50 when looking for x50's and realized that you can get a 997.1 turbo for around the same price.

From what I'm reading the difference between the 2 generations is quite noticeable, thanks for confirming that.

vlad said:
Hi, am surprised 996 and 997 turbos are similar prices I always thought they were about £10K apart like mileage/ manual gearbox.

You could get into a 70K 997TT for £50K a similar mileage 996TT would be £35-£40K wouldn't it.

I went 996C4S to 997 Turbo -I tried the 996 Turbo but preferred the refinedness of the 997 - also if I'd gone 996T the interior is just the same (as the 996C4S and dare I say a little dated.

Both Turbos are uber fast - almost to quick.

Obvious both great cars - but the move your contemplating I'd say go 997T - you'll notice a bit more difference for your extra buck.

Thanks for that, I did test drive both and really did notice the difference between the 996 x50 and 997 turbo. You are right that the 996 Turbos are around the £35-40k mark, but I was looking at the x50's and there seems to be around a £10k premium over the regular 996T which seems insane to me and not worth.

I guess 997T is the way to go. Now letting my 996 C4s go is going to be so difficult :sad:

If you want 'raw' go 996, as you say, the 997 is SO refined compared to the 996, to the point of being numb in my opinion but then I like a bit of noise/drama in a car.
I've even found my 996 to be just too sanitised compared to the E46 M3 that preceded it, no comparison performance wise but the Porker just gets on with catapulting you up the road with zero fuss.
Personally I find the 997t wheels hideous, but the rest of the styling is hard to beat, pipped only be the rear 3/4 view of a fat ass 996, but you already know that as a C4S owner..... :thumb:
Edit: Be careful out there re X50 cars. There's been a few cases of cars being advertised as X50 spec and they're not, mine being one of them, was sold twice pre my ownership as X50, it isn't.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back