Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speaker upgrade

Slight thread hijack here but pretty relevant...

Does the Favtory CD-R-22 have preouts/RCA's to supply a signal to an amp?
If not is there a way to do it?

I'm happy with my cdr22 and I use a cigarette lighter Bluetooth dongle to steam my iPhone music to it. I do however want to swap my dash and rear quarter 4" speakers (no door speakers in mine) and add an active amplified all in one slimline sub thing.

Can I do this and keep my CD-R-22?

Has anyone done it and can recommend the pre-amped sub?
Cheers. :thumb:

PS. I never usually bother with audio in a 911 and just wear my iPod on long motorway slogs but we are off to Europe possibly twice next year so I want some music. :wink:

The CD-R-22 does not have preouts/RCA
but.
Most amps can use speaker level inputs, so you don't need RCA jacks..
BUT!!!
The wiring in the 996 uses a common ground for the speaker wires. which most amps won't like...

Check the amp's specification before buying :thumb:

(or install a new 8 wire speaker loom)

Would that common ground be why having a charger in the lighter socket makes a "shurf/shurf/shurf" noise come through the speakers sometimes?

Thanks Halycon, sounds like hassle. I'll swap the 4 speakers for good stuff first then weigh up the sub. Nothing's ever easy with these is it? I thought I'd get off lightly being pre-MOST. :grin:

sp1ke said:
My mistake... I hadn't spotted the "f" suffix after the reference to 150 degrees in the manufacturers instructions.

150°F (66°C) isn't very hot although probably ideal for moulding where you might touch it. I would worry that it might deform on a hot day abroad with outside temps hitting 40°C and dash temps being quite a bit higher.

Sounds like a useful material though and I do plan to try it for other applications.

Cdr22 does not have RCA outputs, but all the outputs are there on the mini iso plugs at the back if you want to run an amp, also switched live, aux in and all those handy things

Thanks Asterix, that sounds promising.
Have you done this? If so is there a specific loom/adaptor I can buy?
I've done a bit of digging online but nothing comes up.

If I can get a feed to an all in one amplified slimline sub, I'm guessing I can then just swap my 4x 4" speakers retaining the original wiring? Or is that common earth thing gonna be a pain? Halycon have you redone all yours using a Porsche headunit?

Mine actually lost a pixel over winter last year so debating whether to keep it in there at all? I do like the factory look though.

One more thing, can I just add a resistor to my 4" speakers to filter the bass out once I have a sub? I used to do that in the past I think. It's been 15-20 years since I was really into car audio.

Anyway cheers. :thumb:

PS If anyone has a cdr22 faceplate with fully working screen I'd be interested. Alternatively if anyone is getting rid of a Becker or Continental with corrrect orange display and amplifier ready connections let me know. Thanks.

Again apologies for the hijack OP but I'm sure it's relevant.

Hi Marky,
It's usual l to use a mix of capacitors and inductors to filter out low/high frequencies as used in crossover units within loudspeakers. A resistor would simply reduce the volume. You would also need a high power resistor (or inductors/capacitors) as loudspeakers run at low voltage, high current.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I must be thinking of a capacitor then.
I remember adding subs and fitting something inline on the full range speakers to limit the bass they had to deal with. Was 20 years ago though. :?

In other news I've just bought a good used face plate for my cdr22, with all pixels working. Fingers crossed it's as mint as mine cosmetically.

Next stage will be 4 new speakers and see if that will suffice. If not I'll have to fit a sub. I hope I don't though, as it's more weight and I can't be ar$ed. :grin:

Personally, I don't really see the point of a sub in a car. It's fine for kids with their thump thump sound but a car isn't really a large enough space to get decent bass and a 4" speaker can probably give all you really need. Try it first....

The pins are not exactly the same as the diagram I think, I had to do a bit of detective work with a multi meter, the plug adaptor off eBay you chop off the big red one to leave a set of wires to tap, the multi colored plug splits into three and those are your mini iso; the long block at the bottom divided with the dots on the diagram. you may have one of the blocks already in use for your CD changer if you have one or the loom may have it or others on. The mini iso plugs clip together to make the one multicolor plug which fits in the back of the cdr22. I think it's the block on the bottom right of the diagram you want to tap, that's got the 4 line level outputs and a switch on signal for your amp.

Attachments

• screenshot_20181016_195708_122.png
    screenshot_20181016_195708_122.png
    420.8 KB · Views: 2,860
  • screenshot_20181016_195939_213.png
    screenshot_20181016_195939_213.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 2,860
They aren't line level, they are amplified speaker level, and as you can see, it has a common ground :(

It's a bit of a faff to upgrade, but not impossible with some time and patience.
I replaced everything in mine because the factory 6ch harmon kardon amp gave up the ghost.
So
replacement head unit
RCA phono leads from the H/U to the new amp (OEM frunk location)
8-wire speaker loom from the H/U to the amp location (to pick up the original speaker wiring)
new 4" Alpines (Dash & rear) driven by the H/U via new loom
Door speakers driven by new amp via RCAs (set to L/F output)
Focal slimline sub connected to the S/W RCA output of the H/U

Oh, i don't think the interference is caused the 5 wire setup (Whoever mentioned that!) :thumb:

Simply not true. The main iso plug B carries the amplified signal, the mini iso the line levels, yes it has a common ground.

Edit: also found a pre wired mini iso plug on eBay so save faffing around wiring up RCA sockets, if the pin assignments are different they are relatively easy to swop round

Attachments

• screenshot_20181017_001050_143.png
    screenshot_20181017_001050_143.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 2,826
  • screenshot_20181017_035756_159.png
    screenshot_20181017_035756_159.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 2,801
Thanks both. Good info.

I'm going to fit 4 new speakers using existing wiring/setup and try and live with it.
Failing that I'll add a slimline amplified sub, the easiest way possible, which I'll have to figure out at the time.

I like good hifi, but I'm more bothered in my daily as that's what I do most of my mileage in and it's generally boring mileage. Ironically my ancient Volvo has a cracking sound system as standard. It must have been even more impressive 20 years ago.
My wife's old Lexus had great stuff too.

911s just seem to suck for some reason. Anyway, as long as I can hear my music on my road trip that'll do. I will add a slimline sub if possible as 4" speakers simply cannot produce decent bass.
I'll fit my 4" speakers though and report back.

Mike, I agree regards Max Power style systems but you can get a great sound with a properly setup set of mids, tweeters and a sub. It has to be balanced though or the bass is overpowering, like you say. :thumb:

Asterix I completely missed your last post. That's great. I'll keep that in my watch list and buy one if I go down that route. Thanks very much. :thumb:

The stereo strikes me as a good winter project, and i've been somewhat spoiled by the system in my C55 which (to me) seems very good - and the sub in the boot works very well to give a range that the 996 simply can't replicate.

The cab apparently could be ordered with a sub that fits into the passenger footwell: 996 645 567 00

Which looks like this:

s-l1600.jpg

If I can find one in blue (or, at a push, black) that's pleasingly invisible.

What are the odds on being able to plug that into the setup I already have - which is the pre-MOST Nokia system?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back