Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Turbo s or gt3

If it's going anywhere near a track the GT3 is the much better car. GT3 on long European "GT" trips might become wearing due to the noisier cabin and if there's a passenger they may not appreciate the GT3 as much as you do....my wife hates mine because of the bucket seats. I don't know what the tyres are like on the 991.1 but the Michelin Cup's on my 991.2 don't like the wet at all and whilst I haven't had the delight yet I also understand that when it gets cold they're also not great.

Kind of depends what your priorities are and whether you want to be able to use it mid-winter amongst other things. You can of course put winter tyres on though.

Cheib, TBH I think with all tyres you have to put up with compromises, this ones good in the wet, this one isn't etc.
Saying that most of these High Performance tyres are a nightmare when they're cold as they tend to get very hard and hence slide a bit.
I've got 'Potenzas' on my current car and I've not had any issues with them till I went on a track and got them hot, then they were hopeless the front wouldn't grip at all and just under steered. Yet in normal everyday driving they're fine.

jon911 said:
An old debate but as time goes on more views the better. A choice I will have in the future not a daily drive,European tours, occasional track days, meets and drives around the country mainly best nine months,not a garage queen,four seats not needed. Any views well appreciated. Not thinking of any other models.Cheers Jon.

Is your 991 a .1 or a .2? Given the aerokit it's clear you are cool with a wing on the back, if it's n/a it will be interesting to hear how your current has gone on track and what throughts you have about any euro trips completed? Just trying to gauge the reason for changing as I had a similar dilema last year.

G2 said:
jon911 said:
An old debate but as time goes on more views the better. A choice I will have in the future not a daily drive,European tours, occasional track days, meets and drives around the country mainly best nine months,not a garage queen,four seats not needed. Any views well appreciated. Not thinking of any other models.Cheers Jon.

Is your 991 a .1 or a .2? Given the aerokit it's clear you are cool with a wing on the back, if it's n/a it will be interesting to hear how your current has gone on track and what throughts you have about any euro trips completed? Just trying to gauge the reason for changing as I had a similar dilema last year.
Hi G2 yes a good point, my 991 is .1
I do like a rear wing, and have in time favoured the GT3 over the turbo.
GT3 RS is a little out there more track car for me.
On track my Carrera handles very nimble and precise with great grip, experienced a little under steer but you have to push realy hard on the limit.
In the wet no play that's why the turbo appeals with Europe weather changes so quick. The 3.4 engine revs freely all the way to 7,500 rpm it's so much better than my previous 997 3.8 c2s. But could do with just a little more grunt.
Last year a 3,000 mile European trip completing four of the big passes and Monza GP and six country's was completed and my 991 performed impeccably with no problems only numb hips from time to time think due to the sport hard back seats, iam only 14 stone and over six ft tall.
Realy happy with my base Carrera it's manual with very few extras, no fuss just go and drive.
Reason to swap a little more power with the super car performance and handling, more aggressive looks and head turner,hope this answered .

:thumb: sounds like you will go for a GT3 and an osteopath for after Euro trips. :thumbs:

Given the problems with engines (admittedly no one but porsche really knows percentage failures) I think a GT3 whilst it's under warranty. And a Turbo later. There will be Turbos for a long time yet afterall.

I rented a GT3RS by the lap earlier this year. Unbelievable and way better than my driving is capable of taking to the limit. Safe to say I'll do it again, but it removed the temptation to go buy a GT3 or RS.

Good luck with your deliberations...lovely problem to have :grin:

G2 said:
:thumb: sounds like you will go for a GT3 and an osteopath for after Euro trips. :thumbs:

Given the problems with engines (admittedly no one but porsche really knows percentage failures) I think a GT3 whilst it's under warranty. And a Turbo later. There will be Turbos for a long time yet afterall.

I rented a GT3RS by the lap earlier this year. Unbelievable and way better than my driving is capable of taking to the limit. Safe to say I'll do it again, but it removed the temptation to go buy a GT3 or RS.

Good luck with your deliberations...lovely problem to have :grin:

Thanks g2 and all comments from you guys.
I think some more time driving each one and in different situations will be in order.If this was to be the keeper I would probably go turbo but who knows what's round the corner. :?: :thumb:

I drive a lot in winter so think the 4wd of the turbo is very useful. However if you add winters tyres on the gt3 would it be as good? I think for the gt3 you need to buy the turbo alloys with winters to maintain N rating? The turbo kills the gt3 after a 100mph and if warranty is not an issue with exhaust and remap the turbo is faster than 99% of cars. However the gt3 is more exclusive car and visceral experience.

Callughan911 said:
I drive a lot in winter so think the 4wd of the turbo is very useful. However if you add winters tyres on the gt3 would it be as good? I think for the gt3 you need to buy the turbo alloys with winters to maintain N rating? The turbo kills the gt3 after a 100mph and if warranty is not an issue with exhaust and remap the turbo is faster than 99% of cars. However the gt3 is more exclusive car and visceral experience.

I agree winter tyres,my wife had winters on a countryman and tottally transformed the ability of the car.The 911 will have limited use in the bad months.
Fancy the exhaust and remap :thumbs: :thumbs:

jon911 said:
Callughan911 said:

I agree winter tyres,my wife had winters on a countryman and tottally transformed the ability of the car.The 911 will have limited use in the bad months.

I have run my Turbo S through the winter months with Winter wheels and tyres AND a liberal coating of aCF type sprays on the underside , going to give the proper ACF a try this winter after recommendations (Phil's) on here ....
Winter tyres transform a cars performance in the late autumn /winter months ...however the feel of the car on the winter treads is quite markedly different so adjustment of driving style and performance expectations is required ...

The Turbo I S definitely the choice if it's to be used through winter ....unless using the GT3 front lip as a snow clearance tool is the aim ....it's considerably lower so clearance on this snowy days would be a consideration ......!!
T

911TEL said:
jon911 said:
Callughan911 said:

I have run my Turbo S through the winter months with Winter wheels and tyres AND a liberal coating of aCF type sprays on the underside , going to give the proper ACF a try this winter after recommendations (Phil's) on here ....
Winter tyres transform a cars performance in the late autumn /winter months ...however the feel of the car on the winter treads is quite markedly different so adjustment of driving style and performance expectations is required ...

The Turbo I S definitely the choice if it's to be used through winter ....unless using the GT3 front lip as a snow clearance tool is the aim ....it's considerably lower so clearance on this snowy days would be a consideration ......!!
T

:thumb:

Good vids cheers👍

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back