Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

3 spoke steering wheel airbag Porsche crest

peterzoom

Please don't mock too badly here, but the crest in the centre of my steering wheel has been scored heavily when my wife was driving. Some sort of diamond ring steering wheel interaction. Don't ask, please, as even after hearing the story of how it happened first hand (no pun intended) :D I am still none the wiser.

Every time I look at it it is bugging the life out of me. I have asked at my OPC if the badge is available as a part and apparently it isn't, just a a full replacement air bag, mucho dinero!
I guess i could pick up a replacement wheel centre on ebay but I thought I would ask her first to see if anyone knew if the crest in the wheel centre is the same as any other that might be available as a stand alone part???? :worship:

See if you can get a blown airbag from a scrappie, and see how easy it is to remove the badge. If easy and in good condition do that and swap but make sure battery has been disconnected for a while otherwise risk you bag going off

See if you can get a blown airbag from a scrappie, and see how easy it is to remove the badge. If easy and in good condition do that but make sure battery has been disconnected for a while otherwise risk you bag going off

The reason why the badge is unavailable separately is if you stick on a badge yourself and the airbag goes off the badge will be propelled towards you like a bullet.

Hence its only available as part of the airbag

Its not Porsche trying to rip you off, they're trying to stop you injuring yourself

It can be done , it is a pain and as its held in by a stud fixed on the back of the crest that goes into a hole in the airbag you will almostt certainly have to cut it off in which case the only way to allow the new one is to stick it in place , the downside of this is in a accident it may ping off and hit you in the face whereas its designed to stay attached to one half the airbag by the stud. So my suggestion is do it knowing what your doing or buy a used airbag with crest.
heres a pic of my custom painted crest , which is how I know the above.

Attachments

• img_0356_105.jpg
    img_0356_105.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,461
It can be done.... carefully!

There is a press circlip holding the end of the stud on the other side of the face of the airbag.... cut/destroy the circlip to retain the stud on your replacement, then fit with a new appropriate circlip thingy to ensure that your "new" badge is held in place as the factory intended

I replaced a coloured crest with a 2000 version, as my originally was missing a couple of the enamel(?) pieces and too bling for my taste anyway

demon said:
It can be done.... carefully!

There is a press circlip holding the end of the stud on the other side of the face of the airbag.... cut/destroy the circlip to retain the stud on your replacement, then fit with a new appropriate circlip thingy to ensure that your "new" badge is held in place as the factory intended

I replaced a coloured crest with a 2000 version, as my originally was missing a couple of the enamel(?) pieces and too bling for my taste anyway

Thanks for all the replies, I am building up a picture of what can be done, safely. With regard to the quote above, do you recall where you sourced the new crest?
it is astonishing just how much I am finding my eyes drawn to the damage, even if it is slight :?

Mine came from ebay - essentially a guy selling several where the flap had been cut from a (deployed?) airbag centre

The general advice is to remove everything from the car and allow plenty of time for any "residual charge" to dissipate... don't scuff your feet along the floor and build up a static charge when handling, etc... I don't think there is any great issue in handling airbags that have been disconnected from a car, but the airbag part is typically referred to as the "bomb" on US forums, which is sufficiently alarming to at least make sure you employ the sensible precautions when handling!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back