Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Ouch ... Bills bills bills

Chigster

So the Targa went for its MOT today - Passed with no advisories ... :D

Happy Days ... or so I thought ...

Inspection accompanying major service has thrown up:

Engine Mounts worn
Front Shocks Corroded
Front Radiator Mount Corroded
Coolant pipe Corroded
Solenoids Corroded (Hilift I think)

Need to find myself a garage pronto! She doesn't like sitting on the drive in the rain and snow :sad:

And I just had a full roof overhaul, plus coil packs 4 months ago :(

All sounds pretty standard fare for a 996.
I wouldnt worry too much and just slowly work through the list as and when funds allow :thumbs:

Engine mounts drop .. we advise them and handleing will be a little better when replaced .. you dont have to atm .

front shocks corroded .. yup .. they all are ,, if not leaking and they wont be then leave ... unless OCD .

Rad mount .. its rusty .. unless OCD leave .

Coolant pipe .. cant say but probably a do item .

Corroded solinoids .. yup .. they do .. they still work .. they dont need changeing and no one but people like me will ever see them .

Is this an OPC inspection as it certainly sounds like it.

I would add .. engine worn as not new .. replacement required .. sorry .. its late , im tired and this is a list of Nothing you have been given and it annoys me ... nothing to do with you what so ever .

I would add .. engine worn as not new .. replacement required .. sorry .. its late , im tired and this is a list of Nothing you have been given and it annoys me ... nothing to do with you what so ever .

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Top Bloke deMort

They're all pushing 15-20 years old now - just treat everything as a rolling resto!

I've got LandRovers so I'm used to it!

The radiator supports don't seem to be well protected from new. The ones on my C2 were beyond help but the ones on my C4 can just be cleaned up, repainted and refitted. As said above, cars are getting on, they need bits here and there. So many opportunities for upgrades..

MC

Just had a minor service and an MOT at an OPC. No problem with the OPC they were helpful and polite as always.

But just like above the things that the check showed up were interesting. Some will be planned to be done (by an indie) and some were useful to know but I will sleep at night.

At £168 per hour at the OPC it's unlikely that the work will be carried out at the OPC.

As I said, I have no complaints about the OPC and the service staff and engineers. I have a nice video of the underneath of my car!!

At what point in time did £168 per hour become OK for working on a car?

MC

The minor service is reasonable, £325 and includes oil and filter plus particle filter and some sealing rings. Possibly a lot of money for a stamp in the book.
Brake fluid change is £78 which is fine with me. MOT £55.
Remove front PU and check condensers and clear out crap £125. Worth it for me as I would probably bust the PU if I tried to do it myself. £33 for front wiper blades (seems reasonable). New oil filter housing £45.

Now comes the fun.(these are just quotes)

A Porsche battery is £362!!
Replace both exhaust turbo heat shields £1254
Replace exhaust manifold nuts £670
Replace door check strap + membrane £333
Replace window regulator cable due to door glass creak £168
Scuffed front lip spoiler £369!!!

So approx £3k to fix this lot and i haven't included a slight a/c gas leak.

Heat shields will need doing but the rest??????

Right, where is Ken's phone number?

deMort said:
Engine mounts drop .. we advise them and handleing will be a little better when replaced .. you dont have to atm .

front shocks corroded .. yup .. they all are ,, if not leaking and they wont be then leave ... unless OCD .

Rad mount .. its rusty .. unless OCD leave .

Coolant pipe .. cant say but probably a do item .

Corroded solinoids .. yup .. they do .. they still work .. they dont need changeing and no one but people like me will ever see them .

Is this an OPC inspection as it certainly sounds like it.

Thanks Demort.
It's actually at an indie and some of it unfortunately needs doing. Solenoids were causing misfire and rough runnng. Radiator mount has actually broken off and engine mounts were my suggestion as it was getting clunky on bumps.
Will
Have a chat with the garage on Monday.

Once replaced they should see you for another 15 years

Sarfend said:
Replace exhaust manifold nuts £670

I'd bite their hand off if yours are original.

someone on here (Wasz??) recommended Rockauto to source the engine mounts as they were made by OEM manufacturer and £55 each.

I went the 993 RS mount route on mine.
Ian

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back