Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.2 GT3 OEM Rear Dampers - Help!

Roast Beef Racing

I need to replace the rear dampers on my 996.2 GT3. I've just taken a look and there are no markings on the dampers so I don't know which ones they are - apart for Bilstein. Can anyone tell me the part number or version of Bilstein dampers are OEM.

Thanks

They are Bilstein B4, about the cheapest damper Bilstein made at the time; they were OEM fitment to the likes of Skoda & VW. I think you can still buy them direct from Bilstein - ask them on 0116 289 8345. You could also get yours refurbished by Bilstein at a cost of around £100 each.

Personally, I'd use it as an opportunity to upgrade to more modern & better made dampers - it will transform the car & there are many options should you go down that road.

Thread revival and new question

Dear OP, did you make a decision with regards to replacing your rear dampers?

My GT3 is currently undergoing a service whilst also dealing with some minor oil leaks, but I also pointed out the fact that my car felt a little "bouncy" at Donnington last month. It transpires that my rear shocks are shot.
I wasn't surprise by this but I am in two minds as to what the best path is..

Replacing the factory Bilstein items is a costly game and particularly so if the H&R springs also require attention. Like yourself I would also have a contingent future liability being the front axle!

My garage is suggesting that I replace all four corners with Ohlins Coilovers, which is of course more expensive than replacing the rear axle with OEM... But cheaper than eventually replacing both the front and rear axles with OEM parts.

Man maths is telling to go Ohlins (I don't wish to stretch to Nitron etc, but totally understand why some people choose to) so what do people think?

Thoughts and advice are welcome as always.

cheers,
Matt

Re: Thread revival and new question

matt_SM said:
Dear OP, did you make a decision with regards to replacing your rear dampers?

My GT3 is currently undergoing a service whilst also dealing with some minor oil leaks, but I also pointed out the fact that my car felt a little "bouncy" at Donnington last month. It transpires that my rear shocks are shot.
I wasn't surprise by this but I am in two minds as to what the best path is..

Replacing the factory Bilstein items is a costly game and particularly so if the H&R springs also require attention. Like yourself I would also have a contingent future liability being the front axle!

My garage is suggesting that I replace all four corners with Ohlins Coilovers, which is of course more expensive than replacing the rear axle with OEM... But cheaper than eventually replacing both the front and rear axles with OEM parts.

Man maths is telling to go Ohlins (I don't wish to stretch to Nitron etc, but totally understand why some people choose to) so what do people think?

Thoughts and advice are welcome as always.

cheers,
Matt

Hi Matt, I sent them off to Bilstein to be refurbed. Took a couple of weeks I think. Should have got the fronts done at the same time but willget themdone over the winter.

Cool, thanks for replying.

According to the records I have, my shocks were refurbished by a previous owner in 2010.. so hopefully you'll see another 7-8 years use after your refurb. :thumb:

Matt

matt_SM said:
Cool, thanks for replying.

According to the records I have, my shocks were refurbished by a previous owner in 2010.. so hopefully you'll see another 7-8 years use after your refurb. :thumb:

Matt

Hi Matt, the OE Bilsteins are good for no more than 20k miles, whether new or refurbed. Something to factor into your decision as to whether to upgrade or not. And the costs of removing, refitting and setting up frequently are equal to or more than the refurb itself (if you're paying someone to do the work for you)

Hi Slippydiff,

I hope you are well. I bit the bullet and ordered the Ohlins.

Like you say, the fixed cost of labour is a significant component, and given that I track my car on a reasonably frequent basis.. the upgrade sense for my circumstances.

My wife however is less than impressed!

Cheers,
Matt

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back