Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Detailing 996 Turbo S

iceboy

Hi All,

Approx 3 years ago, my 996 TTS was detailed by a local chap, who spent two days, cleaning, correcting, polishing and waxing my car... to the point where it looked better than a new showroom car.

There were a 2 tiny stone chips on the bonnet which he filled with paint he purchased directly from Porsche and then much to my horror started to sand down with very very very fine wet n dry paper.....he assured me he knew what he was doing.....

Long story short the car has looked immaculate and has had much praise at many events over the years.

I noticed this weekend, that where he had used wet n dry paper, the very faintest of rubbing marks are now just beginning to show in the direct sunlight.... I guess 3 years of driving (not much) and washing the car has taken off the protection he had applied...I can't remember what product was used but it was a some premium stuff and I remember talking about the pros and cons of the couple of options he had suggested at the time.

So what has to happen now? The chap has since emigrated, otherwise I would call him to work his magic again.

Help
IceBoy
:thumb:
PS...It still makes me smile and giggle, from the moment I open the garage to when I press the loud pedal !!

Attachments

• 996_tts_201.jpg
    996_tts_201.jpg
    856.9 KB · Views: 1,133
Common practice to wet sand and polish out, its often the finishing phase after you've spray painted a car too.

Any decent cutting compound (polish) on a DA will remove the fine marks, then apply a wax of your choice.

Alternatively use something with lots of fillers in it to provide the shine and hide the marks. AG SRP is a well known product for this.

'Poorboys Blackhole' is also a product known as a filler or Glaze ... you can use this and it may disguise the swirls ... for a while ....

A good Correction detail from a reputable detailer would be a more long term solution....or if you are feeling adventurous ... do as 'The Ragpicker' noted ......

Nice car by the way ...scratches don't show up on my screen here !

Thanks All,

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I doubt 99.9% of people would notice the 1p size issue....but I can.

Anyway, a local Detailer is going to machine polish it and detail the car for me and it should be better than showroom again.

IceBoy

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back